General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Its a bird, its a plane, its a....flying t-top

Old 05-23-2004, 10:18 AM

Its a bird, its a plane, its a....flying t-top

Ok me, like a whole bunch of F-body owners are tired of our T-tops flying off. One of mine flew off the last time I went to the drag strip (luckily it didn't break) so I am asking if anyone knows any odd ways to keep them on.

I was thinking about duck tape. Any other stregnther anyone knows?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Banned

Only thing to do it make sure they are LOCKED down...
I lost one on the freeway..just vibrated loose and flew off
luckily, it landed in a grassy median...
p.s.-------it wasnt locked
Old 05-23-2004, 10:49 AM

your t-top flew off while it was locked?? I can hardly see how it would come off it it was locked in.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by KnightRider2000
p.s.-------it wasnt locked
Old 05-23-2004, 11:50 AM

i think he was asking the threadmaker

I personally dont understand how a t-top could come off if it is latched in like it should be
Old 05-23-2004, 03:23 PM

Uhhhh.......how about latching them?

I've had 4 different cars with tops now over the past 9 years and I've never had any "just come off" for no reason. Actually I've never had one come off at all.....maybe because I latch them .
Old 05-23-2004, 03:40 PM

I've never had one fly off or even sound like it was about to fly off. I've made several passes down the track, and had the car to 140+ a couple of times ... all with the T-Tops latched but not locked.

However, after hearing problems from other folks, I always lock mine when I'm at the track. It just takes a couple of seconds before I get into the staging lanes, and it's not like I'm going to be taking them off between rounds. So, it's just an extra safety insurance. Besides, I'd hate to be the one responsible for shutting down the track when my T-Top shatters all over the track and they shut down for 45 minutes of clean-up.

Has anyone ever had a **locked** T-Top come flying out?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:01 PM

Mine, while at the track. The little bars that lock it are kinda worn down and so are the little wholes they go into. All of the "locking" it doesn't help btw. I was asking for any other methods people could think of, you know like I said..duck tape perhaps.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:02 PM

Ive never lost a T-Top because since my 1st car with t-tops a 68 Vette leaked and rattled me to death. I learned why they make a/c and have never ordered another car with them in over 30 years
Old 05-23-2004, 09:49 PM

I dont understand how if they are latched properly they could still come off...... those bars fit in the holes.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:00 PM

Basically, what I am saying is that my holes are really worn (previous owner must have taken them off and on A LOT) and that they don't fit very tightly in the holes. So would anyone say that wrapping Duck tape around the tops to the car.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:36 PM

Why not visit your local home improvment center or fastener place.And see if they have something suitable to span the gap adhereing to the top and roof a latch of sorts. Suitable being astetically livable and effective.I would think that would be better than duct tape McGyver

Tony
Old 05-24-2004, 11:03 AM

Does it look like the "hole" brackets on the car are removeable? If so, you could probably pick them up at a junk yard (or possibly even the dealer) for hopefully pretty cheap.

I'd also pull the plastic trim off of the top itself and see if there's any way to adjust the linkage so that the locking rods extend further into the holes.

I'm a few thousand miles away from my SS (in the desert ) so I can't check myself.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:53 PM

i have a set of 3rd gen t-tops that came off of an iroc z if anyone needs a set. i may even split them too if i have to. pm me if you're interested.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:41 AM

Well, if you're going to go the duck tape route ... I suggest that you go pick up a roll of black "gaff" tape. It's a black cloth tape used in studio / video environments. It's super pliable so it will mold to the contours and get into the crevices. It's black, so it will look decent, it's very smooth, so you could make it look like it wasn't even there. But the best part is that when it is removed, it leaves zero glue residue behind. It comes off clean. That's why we use it in the studio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Its a bird, its a plane, its a....flying t-top