General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

I want to build a kalifornia legal z-28

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:42 PM

I want to build a kalifornia legal z-28

If I am in the wrong forum, please advise where this goes. I have 95 Z-28. I put $$$ into the motor and transmission, but the mechanic was not able to keep the emissions within kalifornia parameters. arnold signed a communist bill that says any car built after 1983 will never be a collectible and therefore must always pass emissions testing. So I think the best thing for me is to find a pre-1983 F body and drop my LT1 and T56 in. Any thoughts on which year F body would make the most sense? Can you point me to sites that may have tips and ideas for this type of project? I am looking for something that I drive once in a while, though the mountains to the beach or the track.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Actually, the smog laws now are that any vehicle built 1976 and later must be smog legal. My dad had to resmog his 76 Silverado after they passed this, used to be after 30 years your car was exempt.

If you are concerned with smog legality and running some good horsepower, talk to an experienced engine builder anywhere in CA and tell them what you want out of the motor. Usually it's the cam that will do you in. LT headers too, on a 96 and up car.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Yes, you are right. 1975 and before are exempt. I don't want to deal with the smog issue for my play car. So my question now is, will my 1995 LT1 and T56 fit into a pre-smog year body, up to 1975? Any recommendations on a nice body for my motor and transmission?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:32 AM

the LT1 and T56 will fit easy into any car that came with a small block chevy
Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

You've got limited choices... 1st Gen or 2nd Gen, Camaro or Firebird.

Pick a body style that you like, giving preference to the lightest weight chassis. As noted in the post above, the LT1 is just a slightly revised version of the Gen 1 small block Chevy. You'll have to address a few issues like motor mounts, oil pan, trans cross-member, headers, etc, specific to the chassis you select.

My preference would be a 67-69 Camaro or Firebird.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You've got limited choices... 1st Gen or 2nd Gen, Camaro or Firebird.

Pick a body style that you like, giving preference to the lightest weight chassis. As noted in the post above, the LT1 is just a slightly revised version of the Gen 1 small block Chevy. You'll have to address a few issues like motor mounts, oil pan, trans cross-member, headers, etc, specific to the chassis you select.

My preference would be a 67-69 Camaro or Firebird.
same here, would be cool to have in a 68 Firebird
Old 12-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Don't they have some sort of exemption if you can't find fix the car and have spent a certain amount of $$??

I know in CT if you fail and spend over $1200 trying to fix the issue and fail again they give you an exemption pass

Maybe you can work with a certified garage to examine why you failed and have them show they tried to correct the issue for just over the exemption amount.

That may a cheaper alternative than swapping cars, as that can get expensive REAL quick
Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 PM

It can be done

When I was looking for a z28 to buy the last few months I came across a 96 in southern california where I live. It had a lot of mods done to it such as supercharger, cam, rockers, headers, etc. this things ripped and it passed smog. The owner had all the CARB numbers to show the smog shop, and it passed recently. I know lots of guys in my area that have pumped late model cars that smog. If it looks like a nice clean install and passes the sniff it will pass.

I love the older muscle cars. I have had most of them and still have a few. I will tell you they will never drive like our newer z28's, never. Oh I have seen people make these G machines that will hold the skid pad as good as our cars, but they still do not drive like our cars, big diff.

Good luck.[
Old 12-09-2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 96 Z 28
Don't they have some sort of exemption if you can't find fix the car and have spent a certain amount of $$??

I know in CT if you fail and spend over $1200 trying to fix the issue and fail again they give you an exemption pass
Putting performance parts on an engine and buying stuff to pass smog is a big difference.

It all depends on where you get smogged really. Some guys are *****, others will let stuff slide. Then theres the guys you can just pay to pass you . Of course certain things won't pass inspection, like 96-up with headers, or missing smog equipment (EGR, AIR, etc). If all the shop does is the exhaust sniffer and you can pass that, you're golden.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:19 AM

Carb

The whole idea with the CARB numbers in california is that they are legally allowed on pollution controled cars in the state regarless of the year. I could put headers, etc on my 99 no prob, as long as i keep the carb number paperwork and it matches the tag on the headers.

It used to be easy to find a shop that would bypass the state and smog your car for a little more money, but not anymore. I have not seen one of those shops in years. The smog biz is big and a huge money maker for them, so why should they risk their income to make a few bucks off a few guys.

To me smog is crap. The amount of pople that drive older or modified cars that do not meet smog are very small and don't effect the enviroment as much as other things. Most people drive cars that are clean.

I am a computer tech. I wish the goverment would pass a law requiring everyone to get there computer checked out every 2 years by a pro, that would be sweet. Smog is the same to me.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Green96Z
Putting performance parts on an engine and buying stuff to pass smog is a big difference.

It all depends on where you get smogged really. Some guys are *****, others will let stuff slide. Then theres the guys you can just pay to pass you . Of course certain things won't pass inspection, like 96-up with headers, or missing smog equipment (EGR, AIR, etc). If all the shop does is the exhaust sniffer and you can pass that, you're golden.

I was more hinting that if you spend $1200 you are granted a waiver. I'm well aware that you can't bribe these guys anymore, but again in CT if you spend $1200 you get the waiver pass

So if you find a shop who will do $1200 worth of LABOR that appears to try and solve the issue, then you get the waiver. You are right though if you're failing due to missing Smog Equipment, it would need to go back on.

But maybe that's better than a huge change in the actual vehicle itself
Old 12-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 96 Z 28
I was more hinting that if you spend $1200 you are granted a waiver. I'm well aware that you can't bribe these guys anymore, but again in CT if you spend $1200 you get the waiver pass
I see what you're getting at, and I wish it was like that. If you are gonna invest the time and money in your own car, CARB should stay the hell out of our business.

As to the header issue, I was under the impression that once OBD2 and the dual cat setup came out, it was made illegal to move the cats, hence no longtubes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I would love to put some LT's on my car .
Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Not sure about all states, but in some states, the waiver only applies to the repair cost of a "legal" car. Once you make illegal modifications, the waiver would not apply.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM

carb headers

I am not sure what headers are legal in california. Your prob right that long tube wont fly, but shorts may. I would call summit and ask them what headers they have with a carb number for california.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM

**** cali

Quick Reply: I want to build a kalifornia legal z-28