General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

hurricane wilma...car flooded...questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 03:21 PM

hurricane wilma...car flooded...questions

ok...so the Z got a little water logged.

i wasn't there to see the water at it's max height. but i had a good 2" in the floorboards. i'm not sure if it got high enough to come in over the door sills or if there are some "entrance" holes that it got in.

i managed to get the seats (which stayed dry thank GOD) and the rug/foam is out and being rinsed and dryed.

it started right up....idled fine and drove. the power seat is shot...but luckily it's in the correct position.

plans:
change the diff fluid and possibly the engine oil and trans fluid.

the engine oil doesn't show any sign of water and it's only 1000mi old...but $40 is preventative maintenance to ensure that i guess.

what else should i look into doing??

i've washed it, sprayed the undercarrage, and had the hose blasting the brake calipers (not sure they got wet) for several minutes each.

could the clutch have been damaged??

realize this is SALT water.

i've only got limited online access...but i'll search for threads about this from earlier hurricanes elsewhere...just wanted to get this thread up and running for info.

THANKS....and yes my house is fine...
Old 10-27-2005, 06:43 PM

Re: hurricane wilma...car flooded...questions

Damn teke, I was thinking about you while Wilma was pounding KWest. Don't know what to tell ya but think you're on the right track - without knowing how high the water got change any fluids that vent to the outside just to be sure. Clutch is probably fine. Glad you and the house are OK. Still waiting to hear from a friend of mine from the SE coast, thinking he's still without power.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:44 PM

Sorry to hear that man.

I know you know how to use the search but here is a pretty good thread I wanted to make sure you saw.
linky
Old 10-27-2005, 08:20 PM

That is terrible!! The worst part is that it was salt water.

I dunno if it is even possible to to get all that clean. The salt would of gotten into all the little seams and welds in the chasis. That really sucks, it'll only be a matter of time before you have some serious rust issues.

I'm really sorry man.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:40 AM

thanks guys...

and thanks for the link

as for serious issues coming up later....i'd just do what any self respecting camaro freak would do.

strip it and put the 450hp engine and 6speed into some unsuspecting car...

maybe a truck this time...like a S10 or sonoma!!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:14 AM

Sorry to hear about the flooding...
How sure are you that the water in the floorboards was saltwater? Could have been rainwater forced in by the wind...
If it was salt water, I'd be worried about the wiring and stuff under the dash. Sounds like you did a thorough job of rinsing everything and that should prevent any serious issues with the brakes and undercarriage... You might want to take off the door panels and see if salt water got inside your doors...
Good luck with the cleanup...
Steve
Old 10-28-2005, 12:09 PM

cat...

that's what i though of immediately...so a simple (yet nasty) solution...taste it.

yep...salty.

plus i got into it only and hour or so after the flood came up (and receeded) and i saw no evidence of water dribbling down the window, and the seats were bone dry.

since the seats were dry i think it's safe to assume water didn't reach the console in any way.

i am, however, worried about the wire pack that runs under the rug along the floorboards. looks like it's probably some of the speaker wire and power to things like the lights, brake/turnsignals and fuel pump.

lets hope the rinse did the trick.

i'm also wondering if my O2 sensors are bad.
i had true duals welded up (with no mufflers) a few days before the storm...in a rush due to the pending storm. i had the whole exhaust off to build the duals but was still without mufflers. needless to say i'm sure water got into the true duals...and possibly up into the header collectors a bit.
so the O2 sensors were submerged, both the sensor and the wiring. hopefully those didn't get shot. not that they are hard to swap out.