General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How To: run the wires for an Ecutout...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:25 PM

How To: run the wires for an Ecutout...

I just got mine completely installed this morning and I must say it works great I decided to take a few pics when I was done, and with my mad photoshop skillz I drew a dummy's diagram for where I ran the wires. It's not too hard so heres a quick how-to... (this is a QTP Ecutout by the way).

First things first, take the cutout pipe itself somewhere to get it welded on... It cost me $35 and the guy did a great job.

When that is done, I figured it would be smartest to mount the switch first since it is probably the hardest task. You will need to know how to take out the center console, so undo the 4 bolts(2 in the armrest compartment thing, 1 at the front of the casette holder, and one under the gear indicator which will need to be popped off). I have an automatic, and had to remove the shifter **** to get it completely off. look at the front of it, there's a staple-like thing, pry under it to get it out and everything should come out of there. I ended up mounting my switch right under the cigarette lighter, with the red wire extended to go to the light that was attached under the shifter area, you'll see it when you pull it out. The black wire is grounded to the cigarette lighter's black wire. With the red wire on the shift light, you can only operate the switch when you have your driving lights on. I'm only going to be opening/closing it at night so it seems perfect for me, and it keeps passengers from fiddling with it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cutout/003.jpg

Once that is set up, you will want to start at the other end now and attach the electric cutout plate. Follow the manufacterer's instructions on what thread lock and RTV silicone to use(if any).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cutout/001.jpg

I chose to run my wire up through the drain plug in the floor pan so you will need to remove the rear passenger seat, the 4 screws holding the door sill molding on, and pull back the carpet then remove the plug. This is what it will look like from underneath(after you plug it to the cutout of course):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cutout/002.jpg

Then you will need to get the LONG wire that will span from the cutout to the switch. You will want to route it under the carpet and out of sight. I started at the rear... This is where the wire is located in my car:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cutout/004.jpg

Then I continued to feed it up and had it cross over to the center in front of the passenger seat...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cutout/005.jpg

In that photo you can also see where the "hot" wire from the switch goes(red) and where the ground wire(white) goes as well.

I really wish I could get better pics, but I wasn't thinking about it when I was doing the install.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:59 PM

Re: How To: run the wires for an Ecutout...

Good job!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:30 PM

How did you run the wire through the plug?

I'm asking this because when I ran mine first, I just slipped it under the plug and kind of forced the plug back in. Didn't take long for me to figure out that during rainy days, it would come up through it and create a nice puddle. After stripping the interior and letting it air out, I came up with a better solution and cut a slit in the plug. I fe the wire through it, put the plug in, and then, just in case, I bought a can of truck bed spray and put a coat on the plug on both sides. Haven't had any problems since. Just passing the warning.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:40 AM

Thanks, LOL... I took the plug out completely Maybe I'll find it and do what you did, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 AM

I ran mine through that plug also but cut a slit in it then I used some 2 part epoxy and sealed it. never had any water come in. i jsut ran my wire straight up under the front seat and under the counsole. hanve't found a place to mount the switch yet so it's hanging out of the side of my counsole.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by flatlander757
Thanks, LOL... I took the plug out completely Maybe I'll find it and do what you did, thanks for the tip!

No problem, glad to help, that was a HUGE PITA for me. I stripped the whole interior, let it dry for a week, while commuting with just the drivers seat (LOL, lot of passerbys would think I was hard core racer or something) and then had to rent a rugdoctor for $50 and go over it for 3 hours.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donny O
I ran mine through that plug also but cut a slit in it then I used some 2 part epoxy and sealed it. never had any water come in. i jsut ran my wire straight up under the front seat and under the counsole. hanve't found a place to mount the switch yet so it's hanging out of the side of my counsole.

LOL, ghetto. Why don't you mount it in the ashtray like a lot of people do. Looks good and fits perfect, and if you ditch the cutout, you only have to replace the tray.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:58 PM

I have been going to order a different switch than the one that comes with the MPP2 so i could do that...I don't like the one that comes with it and it won't fit in the ashtray like that. i jsut never think of it when i'm not in the car.

Donny O.
as Ghetto as i wanna be!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 PM

yea im gonna put mine in the ashtray as well....sleeper....