General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How old is too old when it comes to gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 PM

How old is too old when it comes to gas?

About to fire off the car with the re-built smog motor (this motor is completely stock for CA smog). Car's been sitting for the past 3 yrs with 2/3 tank of premium. If I top off the rest of the tank with 110 Octane race fuel, will that even things out enough for it to run without insane detonation?

Trying to avoid dropping the tank until I put my race motor and new race fuel set-up in. Still waiting on some parts.

Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 PM

3 years is a long time. Pump it out using the fuel pump prime connector and you won't have to drop the tank.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 PM

what about 3 or so months???
Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the response, when you say fuel pump prime connector, can you elaborate? Are you thinking cycle the ignition with the feed dis-connected to have it pump itself out? That could take a while no? Any further detail would be appreciated.

Thx
Old 08-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator

There may be a "prime" connection - a gray electrical connector - right near the PCM. Supply +12V to the connector, and the pump will run. Shoebox has a photo of the prime connection on his website.

Actual location may vary - the info posted is for an LT1. You need to provide basic info about your car - year, model, engine, trans, etc - so people can give you accurate answers. That's what the "signature" is for.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Wolf
what about 3 or so months???
That should be ok. Run some out and fill back up when possible.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Thanks, Shoebox's site is quite impressive. Did not see a line item for this specifically but did see the schematics, looks to be '95 which is OBD1 and the computer I'm running is '96 OBD II. Will look to see if I have a grey wire as well.

Good suggestion on the Autosig, had one years ago when it was interesting, car's currently a "BONE STOCK 1996 Z28" until I get my smog certificate done. Then back to the fun stuff after being off the road 3+yrs after I blew up the last one.

If anyone knows the positive wire for the fuel pump on an OBDII car (96) would be very appreciative.

Thx
Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Seems you missed this in the Component Location Views section:

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg

Your wire will be red.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 PM

My old man started up his Corvette this year after 7 years. The gas in it made it run a little rough. But once he burned through that tank, it was fine.

3 years shouldn't be a problem. I've done that many times.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 PM

Yes, missed it as I did not look at the OBD 1 diagrams as I figured they'd be different. Thanks so much for pointing that out! Where has that lead been for the past 11yrs! That's awesome, best idea ever!

Well, I guess I can run premium in my suburban and mix this bad gas in between fills in really small doses, I'm sure my big block will eat it up just fine just like all the other gas.

Thanks again, 10gals in right now.....
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't put 3 year old gas in my lawn mower
Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 AM

I fired my car up for the first time in 3+ years just a month ago. It sat the whole time with a full tank of premium. Ran fine while I burned off the old fuel, never really got on it though for obvious reasons. Ran down the tank most of the way and put 13 gallons of fresh 93 octane in it with a can of Techron fuel system cleaner and it passed emissions 2 days later. Was right on the limit for hydrocarbons, but passed...
Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Gas is usable up to about a year, but if it's going to be more than a few months, it's best to add some stabilizer while the gas is still fresh.

After the fact, there's really nothing you can do. 3-year-old gasoline is garbage.

Regarding the previous post -- if the tank is completely full, there's less air in the tank, which helps the gas keep longer (kinda like keeping food in a sealed tupperware container or something). I'm still surprised it was good after three years.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Not that this matters much. But I go 7 months every year without additives. I just top the tank off before I put it away. It's worked for 13 years so far, knock on wood.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Gas is usable up to about a year, but if it's going to be more than a few months, it's best to add some stabilizer while the gas is still fresh.

After the fact, there's really nothing you can do. 3-year-old gasoline is garbage.

Regarding the previous post -- if the tank is completely full, there's less air in the tank, which helps the gas keep longer (kinda like keeping food in a sealed tupperware container or something). I'm still surprised it was good after three years.
Yes, the tank was pretty close to full (filled up the day before it ended up being parked in my garage for 3 years). I was very surprised that it was still good as well, even took a datamaster run to check up on it and it seemed okay. Just got lucky I guess.

To clarify, I am not recommending that anyone try using 3 year old fuel, just stating that I was able to.

Quick Reply: How old is too old when it comes to gas?