General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How to get new keys for a 1993 Z28 ?

Old 05-08-2015, 03:15 PM

How to get new keys for a 1993 Z28 ?

Hey,

Does GM can make key copies with a VIN number for a 1993 Z28 ?
Old 05-08-2015, 03:50 PM

Re: How to get new keys for a 1993 Z28 ?

They should, if you provide proof of ownership.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Originally Posted by nosliw
Hey,
Does GM can make key copies with a VIN number for a 1993 Z28 ?
Are you taking about just copying existing keys or getting new keys where none exist? It's fairly easy and cheap to copy the keys.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 PM

I just had a duplicate key made at a chevy dealer and it cost twenty five dollars and only took 5 minutes. All but 5 and 6 of my keyboard keys have conked out today.This laptop is still under warranty I hope.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

I recently bought a duplicate blank off ebay, to match my key code, for $10. I took the blank and my old key to Home Depot and they copied the key for free!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 AM

One problem, the door key is over used and it isn't possible to copy it.

The key still works but it is getting more and more difficult to unlock the door.

This is why I would need an original copy from GM.

Yes, I have all the documents
Old 05-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Administrator

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 AM

At least call your local chevy dealer and ask them if they can make one.I think all they need is you vin #.My02.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
At least call your local chevy dealer and ask them if they can make one.I think all they need is you vin #.My02.
The problem may be that he appears to be posting from France. I'll never understand why people don't provide info like that, so we can consider that when we attempt to help. That's why I posted the link to the "you need a signature" sticky... it notes that if you are not in the USA, you need to let us know that.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 PM

If it is possible to do it only in the USA. It is not big deal. I go in the US often but it would be easier to do it in Europe as I can try it immediatly.

Anyway, if someone did it with the VIN number. I will would be glad to know the procedure.

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The problem may be that he appears to be posting from France. I'll never understand why people don't provide info like that, so we can consider that when we attempt to help. That's why I posted the link to the "you need a signature" sticky... it notes that if you are not in the USA, you need to let us know that.
True, but I didn't find where to create it.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
If you could go to the dealership and get a key made with just a VIN, then every car thief would do so. You aren't getting a key made without proof of ownership.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:43 PM

If it is possible to do it only in the USA. It is not big deal. I go in the US often but it would be easier to do it in Europe as I can try it immediatly.

Anyway, if someone did it with the VIN number. I will would be glad to know the procedure.

I'm sure someone has lost their keys in Europe before. I would imagine there is GM representation there that would accommodate you.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Administrator

If there is a GM dealer that you can call in Europe, simply call them and ask if they can cut a key, and what documentation is required. The regulations for duplicating keys may be different in France.

The factory manual indicates that the owner should have the 4-character key code that was stamped on a "knockout" portion of the key when the vehicle is delivered, and should knock the plugs out of the key and retain the codes. Manual does not show that the key code can be derived from the VIN. Since you have the key, it may still have the code plug in it. The manual does indicate that the key code can be derived by putting the key on a template the dealer will have. Then the resistance of the ignition key will need to be measured, to match the requirement of the "PASS-Key II" system, starting with a key blank with the correct resistor chip.

Did you read the link? OR, are you working from a phone app? Some apps don't accommodate appending the "Signature" to your post, but they should still let you set it up in the "User CP", as shown in the link I posted.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
If you could go to the dealership and get a key made with just a VIN, then every car thief would do so. You aren't getting a key made without proof of ownership.
Hi Shoebox.You have helped me so much over the years and I am so grateful.Anyway,when i went to the dealer I had to show my registration,drivers license,and give 2 pints of blood,and he came out to look at the car as well to check the vin.Might be a California thing I dunno.Again many thanks for your website and input over the years.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:36 PM

shoebox and Injuneer, many thanks for your answers.

Well I didn't think about the 4-character key code, it is a great point.
As far as I remember, I should have a card with this key code. I will look for it.

About GM dealers, unfortunately Chevy left Europe last year. As you know the European brand owned by GM is Opel. However, when it comes to US Chevy the Opel dealers get lost immediately.

I will find a way and I will let you know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get new keys for a 1993 Z28 ?