General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How bad are burnouts for tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:46 AM

Re: How bad are burnouts for tires?

Originally Posted by izzyz28
I love spinning my tires in first from a roll, but other than that, no burnouts for me. I like to get going about 15-20 MPH on old asphalt and then gag it for a second, turning the tires over a couple times. It's fun. Concrete will EAT your tires, but old asphalt is a little easier on them. Wet roads will eat your tires too, so don't go crazy when it rains. Any type of tire spinnage will wear them out faster. DUH! It just depends on how much money you want to spend. I run $99 tires on my car(forgot the brand). They hook great(see 60' in sig), handle well, and are awesome in the rain. I don't mind replacing them every 20,000 miles. Now if you have a set of 18's it's a little different.......
Another guy that knows the limit of his car, and can't remenber what brand of tires are on the car only that there Cheap.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 87DJP2001
Another guy that knows the limit of his car, and can't remenber what brand of tires are on the car only that there Cheap.
another guy who comes into a thread mocking people, yet contributing absolutely nothing to thread topic of "How bad are burnouts for tires?"

Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Is this a trick question?
Old 09-27-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
another guy who comes into a thread mocking people, yet contributing absolutely nothing to thread topic of "How bad are burnouts for tires?"

I guess you are the Dummy who keeps doing Burnouts to wear the tires out. Good contribution on your part.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:47 PM

calm down ladies... ppl have fun, just b/c you can't afford the tires/find it fun, don't mock anyone, its THEIR car... and im one of them that cant afforf tires, i killed my nitto555r in 9k miles.. prob after 6k they were useless, but... now with my 18" nitto555 they may have seend 2-3 burnouts so far, next time they see it will be at the track... $204 each, isnt cheap 275/35/18 look sexxxy, but expensive as hell...

ps - i spent more on my tires than i did on my wheels = no burnouts for me, unless some "hardcore" stang pull up next to me hehe

cory
Old 09-27-2004, 03:35 PM

So Sherlock, could you please point out to me where I state that I know the limits of my car? I don't believe I made ANY claims of the sort. All I said was:
1. I likle to spin my tires occasionally
2. Spinning your tires wears them out prematurely
3. I don't care if I wear my tires out prematurely because I'm prepared to drop $99 on no-name tires, but other people might spend a little(or a lot) more on tires.

I really don't give a s**t what tires I have on my car, because I'm not trying to find out my "limits". I don't care if it pulls .90 on the skidpad or cuts a 1.70 short time. It makes no difference to me. I drive my car every day in all kinds of traffic, and occasionally autocross it or go to a fun night at the strip. If I could find cheaper tires I would buy them.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:47 PM

I wore out a brand new set of tires in 17K miles, I had them rotated once. That was a mistake, I could have just bought two new tires instead of replacing all 4. I remeber one time when the tires had little tread and would not hook for anything, I punched it from a dead stop. I kid you not, the car just spun them for about 200 feet, going about 20MPH the whole time, tach pegged at 5500RPM. I had to let up because there was a big curve coming up. I ended up stopping, and got out and looked. Smoke was just hanging over the road, it was billowing out of the back of the car. The rubber on the road looked like it was on fire. I wish I had a camera for that. That and doing the minute long brake stand to finish them off was the best.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:28 PM

I guess you are the Dummy who keeps doing Burnouts to wear the tires out. Good contribution on your part.
that classifies me as a dummy eh? well, by your standards id rather be a dummy who has some fun with their tires and actually answers someone's question than a know it all who has nothing better to do than mock people and call them names. real mature
Old 09-28-2004, 01:12 PM

ummmm lets see burning and melting fragments and smoke is bad for just about anything.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:26 PM

Like most things... If it's fun it's gona cost ya a little, or a lot...
Old 09-28-2004, 05:03 PM

yes its bad for your tires, but itt still can take a while, my buddy used to hold the brakes on his camaro while keeping it floored, this would make the car move real slow down the street, yet at the same time leave a trail of smoke and a very very long line of burnout trails(I'm talking the whole block) I used to put my car in water then do the burnouts or just hold the brakes. It still took me some time before the tread was all gone, but still only a few months. Nowadays I keep my bunouts at the track and the tires seem to last much longer. If your going to do it, you'll probably want to use some real hard tires, ones that have insane treadwear life, these tires don't melt as easy nd so will withstand more burnouts. This is why drag radials need replacement after very few miles.