General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How bad are burnouts for tires?

Old 09-24-2004, 11:24 PM

How bad are burnouts for tires?

Today i learned how to do good peelouts and brake torques just by messin around. Its a lot of fun but i don't want to kill my tires. I got bfg goodrich gforces all weather tires and i think they were expensive.

Well, will quick chirps off the line and other things kill the tires or not?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 PM

Re: How bad are burnouts for tires?

Tires are a wear item .... think about it.

Yes, any time you spin the tires, you are taking life off the treadwear. Actually, any time the tires are moving, you're taking life off, but when you're just spinning them, you're taking it off faster.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:01 AM

Burn outs aren't the best thing for your drive line either. Especially on concrete.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:33 AM

Bad for tires. Where do you think that rubber on the pavement comes from??
Old 09-25-2004, 09:08 AM

I killed my Eagle F1's by doing some brief burnouts and peelouts. I always inspected my tires for wear, but couldn't see any, so I kept doing it. Sure, the next time I looked at my tires there was NO thread left whatsoever and the steel belts were sticking out from the tire :-)
Now, I can't remember the last time I've done a burnout with my street tires

Last edited by HungryT/A; 09-25-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:43 PM

Burnouts are a good thing as long as you want to make the tires sticky, like at the dragstrip.
But they wear the tires faster.
Whenever they wear out and you go to buy new tires for the rear, you can decide if it is worth it not. I have a spare pair of wheels with drag radials mounted on them for the drag strip. So I don't do much burnouts when I am running my daily driving rear tires(yokohamas). I light those drag radials up at the dragstrip before a 1/4mile run though.

Last edited by rpm4lalo; 09-25-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:42 PM

i bought my car with about 30% tread on the tires (comp t/a's) after all the brief 1st gear spins ive done, and ive done quite a few, they still seem to be at 30% tread. its almost starting to frustrate me, lol, but they will be bald when i take them off. theres no sense throwing them away without having any fun
Old 09-25-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
i bought my car with about 30% tread on the tires (comp t/a's) after all the brief 1st gear spins ive done, and ive done quite a few, they still seem to be at 30% tread. its almost starting to frustrate me, lol, but they will be bald when i take them off. theres no sense throwing them away without having any fun

Having fun with tires, to cheap to throw away.
Additional cost now or in the near future:
Clutch
Wear on M6Rear
Axle taking excessive abuse
New tires
Old 09-25-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 87DJP2001
Having fun with tires, to cheap to throw away.
Additional cost now or in the near future:
Clutch
Wear on M6Rear
Axle taking excessive abuse
New tires
i already have new tires on different wheels and my clutch has slipped a couple times too, so its not like im not gonna have to replace that anyway. ill do a donut or something so there wouldnt be all that driveline shock. its not like i plan to be continually dumping it until they are bald I may like to spin the tires a little more than some, but i am more consciencious of the dangers of driveline shock than most people. I know the car's limits.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 09-25-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:02 PM

Lets just say... You can burn a full set of new tires in just over a minute doing a burnout... If you knew me, You would understand where I'm coming from.. Just be easy on them... FYI don't try to do any 1st - 4th gear burnouts on a stock clutch on a 6 speed in a burnout contest.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=rpm4lalo]Burnouts are a good thing as long as you want to make the tires sticky, like at the dragstrip.
But they wear the tires faster.
QUOTE]
That only works for drag radials and the like. Street tires are desinged to absorb heat. All you're doing is tearing up your tires and stressing your driveline.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
i already have new tires on different wheels and my clutch has slipped a couple times too, so its not like im not gonna have to replace that anyway. ill do a donut or something so there wouldnt be all that driveline shock. its not like i plan to be continually dumping it until they are bald I may like to spin the tires a little more than some, but i am more consciencious of the dangers of driveline shock than most people. I know the car's limits.
If you knew your cars limits you would know your stock 10 bolt can't handle clutch drops.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
If you knew your cars limits you would know your stock 10 bolt can't handle clutch drops.

thats essentially what i said, isnt it?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:04 PM

I have an automatic
Old 09-26-2004, 10:50 PM

I love spinning my tires in first from a roll, but other than that, no burnouts for me. I like to get going about 15-20 MPH on old asphalt and then gag it for a second, turning the tires over a couple times. It's fun. Concrete will EAT your tires, but old asphalt is a little easier on them. Wet roads will eat your tires too, so don't go crazy when it rains. Any type of tire spinnage will wear them out faster. DUH! It just depends on how much money you want to spend. I run $99 tires on my car(forgot the brand). They hook great(see 60' in sig), handle well, and are awesome in the rain. I don't mind replacing them every 20,000 miles. Now if you have a set of 18's it's a little different.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How bad are burnouts for tires?