General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

High Octane fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:25 PM

High Octane fuel?

Do you have to run a high octane fuel if you put on aftermarket heads and cam?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:31 PM

Re: High Octane fuel?

if you consider 93 octane high, then yes

it all depends on where your compression ends up. if it is 13:1 or less you should be good to go on 93.

depending on the tune, you can run lower octane, but you'd be leaving power on the table
Old 09-24-2006, 09:02 PM

if you still have the FI and cat use Unleaded fuel only. Leaded fuel will almost instantly clog the catalytic converter

Last edited by razor02097; 09-24-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:21 AM

Our motors already require 91 or better for optimum performance. Heads and cam combos if kept in the stock compression ratios will make good power on the same gas. Mine does.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:11 AM

Here in Germany we have 100 Octane Fuel. The Name is "Shell - V-Power". Close before i run the last time a quarter mile, i use this very mutch petrol. The result is "no result".
I think i read somewhere, that the computer is saved to 95 Octane. When we use more, then it have no effect.
The 100 Octane Petrol is Moneywasting in my eyes. I run 1/4 second slower but i think, the reason are the new wheels.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Retired

As to avoid confusion, I'll just say that you should be running PREMIUM pump gas for most NA builds including stroker-motors.

Racegas is for very high compression NA motors (13:1+) and cars with blowers, turbos, and nitrous that run the risk of detonation.

Mike
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 AM

If you run mid or lower grade (89 / 87) the you may be exercising the knock sensors a little more. The first couple years I owned my car, I drove it through the winters (I know, I know ... I didn't want to) ... anyway, I always used to run 87 octane in the off season, because with the colder temperatures (air being colder, and even the fuel being colder) I could get away with it, with very little pinging/detonation at all (if any) unless I really hammered on it and held it to ~6000 RPM (but in the winter time, with salt residue on the roads, I rarely did that, 'cause I'd be sideways in a heartbeat).

If you're building a heads/cam motor, obviously you're going for performance, so I wouldn't run less than 91 octane . 92/93/94 may not be necessary (based on the compression ratio and timing) but they're not really too much "over-kill" (not like running ~100 octane ). You should be fine running any standard "Premium" fuel .
Old 09-25-2006, 12:14 PM

I hoped, that it give an extra Timebonus, but it doesnt
In Germany you can only buy 91, 96, 98 or 100 Octane. We doesnt have under 91.
I drive the most of fillments the 96 Octane.
But read and let freeze your Blood:
Today Price for the 96 Octane: 1,20EUR per Litre

Petrol is very mutch in Europe.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JACK RABBITz
Here in Germany we have 100 Octane Fuel. The Name is "Shell - V-Power". Close before i run the last time a quarter mile, i use this very mutch petrol. The result is "no result".
I think i read somewhere, that the computer is saved to 95 Octane. When we use more, then it have no effect.
The 100 Octane Petrol is Moneywasting in my eyes. I run 1/4 second slower but i think, the reason are the new wheels.
Just to be sure you understand - the US and Europe do NOT use the same system for posting gasoline octane. In the US, the octane posted on the pump is the average value of "research" octane (a measure of knock resistance during "normal" driving) and "motor" octane (a measure of knock resistance under heavy loads, more closely approximating WOT performance). Commonly refered to as (R+M)/2. The Owner's manual for the LT1 engines, for example lists the minimum octane requirement as 91, for no loss of performance due to knock retard. But that's not the same for Europe.

In Europe, the octane posted on the pumps is basically "research" octane, which can be 5-6 full points higher than the (R+M)/2 value. "100-octane" fuel in Europe is probably closer to 94-octane in the US system.

Octane requirement is largely determined by "dynamic compression ratio" (DCR), not static compression ratio (SCR). You need the full cam card and the SCR to determine DCR and the approximate octane requirement.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Just to be sure you understand - the US and Europe do NOT use the same system for posting gasoline octane. In the US, the octane posted on the pump is the average value of "research" octane (a measure of knock resistance during "normal" driving) and "motor" octane (a measure of knock resistance under heavy loads, more closely approximating WOT performance). Commonly refered to as (R+M)/2. The Owner's manual for the LT1 engines, for example lists the minimum octane requirement as 91, for no loss of performance due to knock retard. But that's not the same for Europe.

In Europe, the octane posted on the pumps is basically "research" octane, which can be 5-6 full points higher than the (R+M)/2 value. "100-octane" fuel in Europe is probably closer to 94-octane in the US system.

Octane requirement is largely determined by "dynamic compression ratio" (DCR), not static compression ratio (SCR). You need the full cam card and the SCR to determine DCR and the approximate octane requirement.

Oh, i not know about that.
I must write this in my papers. Thx for this great info.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM

I run 95 octane all the time on my LE2 heads, GM847 cam setup without any problems. I have tried 100 octane and couldnt tell a difference.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:25 PM

Sorry for my off-topic question: What means:
Camaro Z28 M6 (the "M6"?)
and what means:
"w/"
Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 PM

Sorry for my off-topic question: What means:
Camaro Z28 M6 (the "M6"?)
and what means:
"w/"
Around here, M6 refers to Manual 6-speed. A4 refers to Automatic 4-speed .

If somebody writes that they have a 2000 Camaro w/M6, they mean "with" (by writing "w/" is a short form for "with").

Your english is a little rough at times, but I've understood most of what you've posted!! It's interesting hearing a different perspective on the car than what we're used to here in North America .
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 PM

Today Price for the 96 Octane: 1,20EUR per Litre
OUCH...I paid about 0.45EUR per liter of 93 Octane today ($2.16USD per US gallon)
Old 09-25-2006, 08:36 PM

nice to see another german on the boards

Quick Reply: High Octane fuel?