General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

help! are my fuel lines too close to the exhaust??? pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:13 PM

help! are my fuel lines too close to the exhaust??? pics inside

I just got my Z out of storage and had a friend finish up the exhaust over winter, However since I have Jet hot Lts on now, I had my friend put the cutouts at the end of the collectors, however now looking at the driver side i came to notice how close the fuel lines are to the cutout, As you can see in the pics it looks like they started to melt a little bit and that was only after a 45 min drive on the highway when the cutout was closed, there will be DMH elec cutouts placed on both of the cutouts as soon as i address the fuel line problem. that tranny cross memeber is a pain in the butt to get around with LTs!

If anyone has any ideas besides cutting down the collectors and moving the cutout up, they would be much appreciated.

For now Im going to put a sleeve of heat shield over the lines

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...54048667pAyslZ

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...54048667dveeoK
Old 05-19-2006, 12:58 PM

Re: help! are my fuel lines too close to the exhaust??? pics inside

TERRIBLE idea IMO.

I would move that exhaust.. forget heat shields in this case.. you're playing wire fire... literally.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:59 PM

yeah....fix that before you turn your f-boat into a fire ball
Old 05-19-2006, 01:29 PM

I had a Mufflex Y-pipe that was similar in distance to my fuel lines as yours is. I put some heat sheilding around the fuel lines and ran it for a year or so and never had any issues. HOWEVER, it still is close, and even though I got away with it doesn't necissarily mean that it is safe, or that you will get away with it. If its possible to change, I would reccomend that you do. I ended up going with a different y-pipe that clears my fuel lines much better.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:57 PM

It almost looks like your exhaust hit your fuel lines when driving, you can see that they are rubbed and that the gasket on the collectors is formed into the same shape as the lines...

That isn't good and heat shielding isn't going to resolve it...
Old 05-19-2006, 02:22 PM

Yeah the heat shield idea is just a temporary fix, I was just as surprised as everyone else to find how close that Y-Pipe came to the fuel lines, because normally this person gets the job done the right way, I think i may just put a bend piece where the cutout is now and put the cutout further down along the line (closer to the I-pipe) any other suggestions will be beneficial, thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 04:37 PM

Dont mean to hijack or anything but I was wondering about my fuel lines too. I have Pacesetter LT's and Y-pipe and I'm gonna put some heat wrap on the y-pipe just in case because they look kinda close. Will that be okay? Also I'm currently running the stock plug wires but I just got some MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires will they have any problems without protection?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 95z28man
Dont mean to hijack or anything but I was wondering about my fuel lines too. I have Pacesetter LT's and Y-pipe and I'm gonna put some heat wrap on the y-pipe just in case because they look kinda close. Will that be okay? Also I'm currently running the stock plug wires but I just got some MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires will they have any problems without protection?

the heat wrap i just put on is one that you would put on a hose or wires, I would suggest swapping plugs/wires esp. since you have LTs in there now it will take less than an hour if you know what your doin. not sure what to tell ya about the Y pipe b/c your in the same boat as i am!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
It almost looks like your exhaust hit your fuel lines when driving, you can see that they are rubbed and that the gasket on the collectors is formed into the same shape as the lines...

That isn't good and heat shielding isn't going to resolve it...

you were right, the exhaust hit the fuel lines and rubbed them (no melting)b/c those fuel lines are the hard lines (metal), so i plan on heat wrapping/shileding the plastic connectors to the right til i fix the prob.

can those metal lines hold up to the heat for a week?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:43 PM

can those metal lines hold up to the heat for a week?[/QUOT

If they've made it this far, depending on how much you drive it, they may hold out. PLEASE keep in mind that this is by no means safe, and there is a chance they may NOT make it a week. My lines weren't being bumped by my y-pipe, but they were very close. I heat sheilded them and again, made it a year or so with no problems. One thing you may want to try since there is obviously some play in your exhaust, is to try to somehow stick a metal brace that holds the exhaust pipe down out of the way a little more. This will help keep the exhaust pipe from jarring up and down, and it should keep more distance between it and the fuel lines. A quarter of an inch can be all the difference between hot fuel lines, and four smoldering tires in the middle of a road with your remains in between them.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
can those metal lines hold up to the heat for a week?[/QUOT

If they've made it this far, depending on how much you drive it, they may hold out. PLEASE keep in mind that this is by no means safe, and there is a chance they may NOT make it a week. My lines weren't being bumped by my y-pipe, but they were very close. I heat sheilded them and again, made it a year or so with no problems. One thing you may want to try since there is obviously some play in your exhaust, is to try to somehow stick a metal brace that holds the exhaust pipe down out of the way a little more. This will help keep the exhaust pipe from jarring up and down, and it should keep more distance between it and the fuel lines. A quarter of an inch can be all the difference between hot fuel lines, and four smoldering tires in the middle of a road with your remains in between them.
He needs to put poly motor mounts in it, the exhaust wont move much after that. Other than that, you are going to need to move that cut out. Doesnt that absolutly kill ground clearance anywya?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:01 PM

My suggestion was purely a quick fix to get by for a short period of time. Not a definate one. Clearance to the ground isn't as big of a deal IMO as keeping the car from blowing up! Yes, there needs to be an eventual SAFE fix.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by JJJ93z
Yeah the heat shield idea is just a temporary fix, I was just as surprised as everyone else to find how close that Y-Pipe came to the fuel lines, because normally this person gets the job done the right way, I think i may just put a bend piece where the cutout is now and put the cutout further down along the line (closer to the I-pipe) any other suggestions will be beneficial, thanks
You could change your fuel lines to braided stainless steel and run them elsewhere and leave the exhaust alone. Probably not cost effective though.