General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help with major tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:18 AM

Help with major tuneup

The water pump went out on my '95 V8, so it sounded like a good idea to do the 200K tune since it's a little overdue. It's been so long since the last major tune I want to be sure everything gets done that should.

They mentioned it would be a good time to do the distributor since the water pump is being replaced, and will also be doing plugs, wires and coil. Of course the fuel and air filters would be nice too.

What about cleaning the fuel injectors and throttle body? And is there anything else that should be done for the tune? They are estimating $1400 @$100/hour for the water pump with coolant flush/fill, the tune, a lube, oil & filter change, as well as checking problems with an electric window, door lock and the coolant level sensor.

I got an estimate of almost $1K for the tuneup alone at a dealer since moving to Hawaii, so the $1400 for all this didn't seem out of line. I don't have the ability to do it myself but wanted to get a warm & fuzzy on what should be done with the tune, or other *helpful* comments Thanks
Old 11-18-2015, 10:14 AM

Re: Help with major tuneup

I would look around for a mechanic who can work on your car (i.e. corvette mechanic).My local dealer wanted $2000. for new fuel injectors so I took my car to a seasoned mechanic and he said my injectors were just fine.I would just get the water pump replaced if the waterpump didn't wipe out the distributor with that many miles on the car.Any electrical work can be mostly handled with this forums advice as well as shoebox's web site.Hope this helps.Get the car scoped so you don't just throw money at the car.My02.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Re: Help with major tuneup

Some things are just too easy ("DIY") to pay $100/Hr for someone else to do it.

Add to your list:
-PCV valve - "DIY"
-trans filter - if automatic
-serpentine belt - "DIY"
-check all vacuum lines for cracks, leaks - "DIY"

Have you considered other fluids like:
-brake fluid
-trans fluid
-differential fluid - "DIY"

There really aren't any "lube" points, unless you have had things like ball joints replaced in the past, or are running aftermarket suspension parts.

Fuel injectors - "DIY" (IF REQUIRED).... you could by a set for $250-300 and install them yourself.... very easy. Do you have any evidence of problems with the injectors? Check the resistance, look at the plugs for signs of individual cylinders running lean or rich. Check for fuel pressure bleed down after the fuel pump stops priming (engine not running).

If they are replacing the distributor, what brand are they using? The only one to even consider is the AC Delco, and you are looking at least $400 for the part.

Throttle body is easy to clean, using throttle body cleaner - "DIY" Get new gaskets for the top and bottom plates.

MAF sensor should be cleaned with MAF sensor cleaner - "DIY"

Coolant level sensor is a common problem. Replacement is really "DIY"