General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Help, Blinkers don't work! Checked all I could think of

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:19 PM

Help, Blinkers don't work! Checked all I could think of

So i'm driving and i notice the blinker arrow just stays on. I replaced the blinker relay under the dash but that wasn't the problem. I checked the fuse for the blinkers and thats fine. I checked all of my lights too. The hazards work correctly for both relays so I don't know what gives. Could it be the combination stalk on the steering wheel? All the other gizmos work and but the blinkers stay solid. This is a PITA
Old 02-24-2005, 05:49 PM

Re: Help, Blinkers don't work! Checked all I could think of

Mine did the same thing. The bulbs are dual filament and a pain to get to. Turn the signal on and check if its the front or rear then simply change it. Cost around 5 bux and gl getting to it if its the front. Try from underneath!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:20 PM

So its prolly just the bulb? None of my lights actually blink. I doubt all 4 are blown. As I said...my hazards do work so I know my bulbs work. I'll check it...but its 40 outside and is gunna be a PITA!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM

mines doing the same thing but just with my left turn signal. and check this out...it only does it when it's cold!!!!! later on in the day it'll work. guess it's tempermental!!!!!! haha!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:27 PM

Did you check the blinker fluid? it maybe low ... lol
Yeah, check the bulbs. if it's not that, you may either have a short or the switch is messed up (considering that you've checked the flasher).
Old 02-24-2005, 06:28 PM

Thats retarded with the cold!!!...Its good to know tho. I'm still gunna check the bulbs since i'm already suited up to work outside!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 PM

Does this problem just happen to occur when your headlights or parking lights are on?

Larry
Old 02-24-2005, 07:35 PM

No...they never work, period. This is really anoying
Old 02-24-2005, 09:45 PM

I had the same problem with my TA, the source was burned-out flasher. I think I payed around $10 for it at Autozone. It is located under the dash, on driver's side. See this for details.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by nullptr; 02-24-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:53 PM

I fixed it thanks guys. I I think it was the blinker flasher all a long, but I replaced it and still nothing. Stumped, I re-checked everything and whatever I did...it works now
Old 03-04-2005, 01:31 PM

I've got a similar problem. Except that mine are intermittent. They'll blink fine when the car first starts, then stop blinking when the car warms up. I've been at a stop light with it blinking fine, then just stopping. Or sometimes I'm at a light and have it on and solid and it will START blinking. Bulbs are fine (last fall I used a bulb cleaner to clean the contacts... same problem), fuses are fine, I've checked the flasher unit and replaced it with an over-expensive digital model. Doesn't solve the problem. It happens on both sides.

I've had it to the shop 3 times for this and they "fixed" it all 3 times. (replaced the bulb, replaced the socket, replaced the wiring on that socket. No change.)

I've tried tilting the steering wheel when it happens and the switch itself (thinking loose wiring on the column or something) but that doesn't seem to affect anything.

Any ideas? Anyone? The car's working great in all other respects.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:04 AM

I think you are on the right track by trying to moving the steering column to make the turn signals fail. But, I think you will wind up going into the switch to find the problem. If you feel you have done everything possible on the bulbs, flasher, etc, then the only other part that can fail is the turn signal switch.

Larry
Old 04-06-2005, 12:56 AM

Would the switch be at the base of the turn signal lever? I recall reading somewhere that the lever just actuated a rod that would then turn the "switch" at the base of the steering column. I ask because I've tried "jiggling" the turn signal lever to see if that gets a response but it doesn't seem to change anything.

With the weather getting warmer I'm itching to start going after this one again. (If a flasher bulb is bad will it affect both sides of the car or just the side that's bad?)
Old 04-06-2005, 08:25 AM

Keep in mind there are two flashers under the dash on the drivers side- one for the hazards (located by the fuses), one for the turn signals (located on the right side). Additionally, the stock flashers are thermal and thus a little tempermental. Try swapping them out for an electronic flasher from autozone ($10 prt # el12).
Old 04-06-2005, 08:45 AM

yep make sure both flasher are changed.

Quick Reply: Help, Blinkers don't work! Checked all I could think of