General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Heat Shields

So, what are the consequences of taking the heat shields off between he gas tank and muffler?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 PM

boiling the fuel in the tank, plus , fuel+heat=BOOM
Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
boiling the fuel in the tank, plus , fuel+heat=BOOM
thats bad umkay!?!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 PM

There's got to be people that have removed those shields here. I know the cat converter ones rattle a lot and people remove those heat shields, so I bet there are some gas tank shield removers here too.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by TheV6Bird
There's got to be people that have removed those shields here. I know the cat converter ones rattle a lot and people remove those heat shields, so I bet there are some gas tank shield removers here too.
I took mine off. My concern was actually vapor lock. But the fuel lines, run on the other side of the car and do not pass under the heat shields. After taking them off the car got a bit quieter. Less rattles.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 AM

I just would not remove the heat shield between the muffler and gas tank. If it is rattling, check to make sure that all of the bolts are in place, the bolts are very small and prone to breakage.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM

I would think if hit from behind, the shield would provide some protection between the exhaust and gas tank.......
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor
I would think if hit from behind, the shield would provide some protection between the exhaust and gas tank.......
You're an optimist That thin sheet of metal isn't going to provide any protection.

Warm/hot fuel is going to hurt power and possibly increase pinging.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Administrator

The major performance problem with warm fuel it that it is more likely to vaporize in the fuel pump suction line. Hot fuel reduces cooling of the fuel pump. Hot fuel produces more fuel vapor, overloading the EVAP system..... its a pretty long list.

I would not recommend removing the heat shields for the fuel tank. Rattles can be solved, and there is no significant weight savings.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:13 PM

I don't recommend removing it.
But I also don't think it serves any useful function. For over 100 years cars have been driven around without this sheild. As late as 84, which has the tank in the exact same location, there was NO shield.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The major performance problem with warm fuel it that it is more likely to vaporize in the fuel pump suction line. Hot fuel reduces cooling of the fuel pump. Hot fuel produces more fuel vapor, overloading the EVAP system..... its a pretty long list.

I would not recommend removing the heat shields for the fuel tank. Rattles can be solved, and there is no significant weight savings.
I agree with this except the lines go along the drivers side and have very little exposure to the heat shield. The heat shield mostly protects the passenger side, as this where most if it lies.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GMCAMARO
So, what are the consequences of taking the heat shields off between he gas tank and muffler?
Originally Posted by GMCAMARO
I agree with this except the lines go along the drivers side and have very little exposure to the heat shield. The heat shield mostly protects the passenger side, as this where most if it lies.
You're confusing me.... you asked about the heat shields for the muffler, now you're talking about the "lines that go along the drivers side". My response addressed the fuel tank heat shield. Since our fuel pumps are internal to the tank, vaporizaton problems on the suction side of the pump, due to net positive suction head requirements, are internal fuel tank issues.

I'm also not sure what the fact that cars 100 years ago did not have a heat shield is too relevant to a 4th Gen F-Body. Why assume you're smarter than the GM engineers. I seriously doubt they would have thrown extra parts at a car that is didn't need. 4th Gens make more power.... exhaust may be hotter, slightly larger intermediate pipe may be closer to the tank, past problems may hve been identified, fuel pumps may be more sensitive to heat, fuel composition and volatility has changed, emissions requirements have changed........... yada yada yada.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You're confusing me.... you asked about the heat shields for the muffler, now you're talking about the "lines that go along the drivers side". My response addressed the fuel tank heat shield. Since our fuel pumps are internal to the tank, vaporizaton problems on the suction side of the pump, due to net positive suction head requirements, are internal fuel tank issues.

I'm also not sure what the fact that cars 100 years ago did not have a heat shield is too relevant to a 4th Gen F-Body. Why assume you're smarter than the GM engineers. I seriously doubt they would have thrown extra parts at a car that is didn't need. 4th Gens make more power.... exhaust may be hotter, slightly larger intermediate pipe may be closer to the tank, past problems may hve been identified, fuel pumps may be more sensitive to heat, fuel composition and volatility has changed, emissions requirements have changed........... yada yada yada.
All manufacture add parts to protect themselve from litigation. Often they have limited functionality. GM and Ford have been taking flack for years about fuel tank safety. And I never said it served NO function. GM has been putting heat shields around the spark plugs for over 40yrs. and for the same 40yrs. hot rodders have been removing them, with no appearent problems. Could be to protect against that 1 in 100,000th failure?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 AM

I was under my car and took the bolts out of the sheild, saw how close it was to the gas tank and put it back up. I agree with injuneer, it wouldnt be there for no reason, it doesnt cost you any weight, and the rattles can be solved by putting some foam weathering strip inbetween the sheild and the body. Imo, i wouldnt feel good having my fuel tank be that close to hot exhaust, your asking for problems. spark plug wires are alot diffrent then fuel tanks..
Old 06-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
All manufacture add parts to protect themselve from litigation. Often they have limited functionality. GM and Ford have been taking flack for years about fuel tank safety. And I never said it served NO function. GM has been putting heat shields around the spark plugs for over 40yrs. and for the same 40yrs. hot rodders have been removing them, with no appearent problems. Could be to protect against that 1 in 100,000th failure?
Your ASSuming that the heat shield is there to avoid litigation. Can you be 100% sure of that?

Quick Reply: Heat Shields