General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Header Leak or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 06:01 PM

Header Leak or Something Else?

So there is a new sound that I can now hear. I cannot hear it at idle, or at neutral revs. I only hear it when the car is actually moving. I wouldn't describe it as a ticking as described in other threads on the subject. The best I can describe it is it sounds like a quite exhaust sound over my usual exhaust....does that make sense? I'll post a video/sound clip when I can.

By the way, I used the paper gaskets on my pacesetter install, against my better judgement.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Re: Header Leak or Something Else?

Basically, it sounds like a bicylce chain and it's coming from under the hood.....any ideas?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 AM

Though I am very confused on this sound (you said it was like a quiet exhaust, then a bike chain under your hood), I'd bet it's leaking. Some have had success with the paper, most haven't. You did use dressing on these paper gaskets at least - right?

My brother's was leaking (just loose bolts though) and when he described the sound to me online, he said it reminded him of a s/c - I'm not sure how - I never heard it, but if that sounds relevant at all, it's probably leaking.

Is it more noticible on one side over another at all? Can you see/feel any signs of leakage?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:07 AM

How long ago did you do the LT install?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:24 AM

They are midlengths, and a shop, JBA headers did it for me. They were installed on 12/3/05. They were tightened with Stage 8 locking header bolts. Since the headers are relatively new, I'd say it's more likely the gasket.

I guess the "quiet exhaust was a bad description. A bike chain is the best way I can describe it. And I suppose it does sound like a tick, a fast ticking.

Although I can only hear it while moving and can't stick my head under the hood while the sound occurs, it does seem to be coming from the right (driver's side) of the engine. How else would I be able to tell visually? A lack of a seal in the gasket? or does it actually leak any fluid??

How long can I go with this header leak if it is infact that? I mean will the problem get so bad that it is not driveable? Right now it's just annoying and doesn't sound like a healthy car, which I hate because I take pride in my decent sounding v6. I pretty much have no $$ for someone to take apart the right side header....although I could almost do it myself....
Old 05-17-2006, 11:08 AM

If it was a header leak, you should be able to hear it in neutral and revving the engine. If you want to test the headers, however, just move your hand around them and see if you feel any air (but don't touch the headers obviously!). There will most likey not be any visual signs of a leak. As far as the impact of a header leak, it's actually worse than some might think. The leak will cause inaccurate oxygen senser readings, possibly making the car run rich and fouling up your spark plugs, among other things. Granted that's a worst case scenario. Good luck.