General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Gas spills out of tank when full??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:31 PM

Gas spills out of tank when full??

Does anyone else have this problem? Whenever I fill up the tank now and take some hard corners I notcie that when I park the car there are gas stains on the rear quarter panel Any way to prevent this from hapenning?
Old 08-13-2006, 06:39 PM

Re: Gas spills out of tank when full??

check to see if the fill neck and vapor return are connected properly
Old 08-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Generally helps to know what year/model car you are asking about..... why not add a "signature" with basic info like year, model, engine, tranny and any major mods?

If its a 4th Gen, check the gasket on the cap.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:32 PM

Yeah it's a 4th gen 94 Z28. There isn't a gasket in the cap so I guess that's the problem. Where can I get one?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:37 PM

And also could the fact that there was no gasket there have any effect on my fuel system?

Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Administrator

The 4th Gen fuel tank is "closed". It requires a non-vented cap. Stant makes a replacement cap. Any auto parts store will carry it.

There's a vent system consisting of a rubber hose off the top of the tank, to a charcoal canister in the driver's rear fender. The charcoal strips the hydrocarbon vapor out of the venting gasses, and stores it. A "purge" system pulls fresh air in through the charcoal to remove the HC vapor and burn it in the engine. You might have a small A/F balance problem with the system not correctly vented, but it shouldn't have a major impact on engine operation. In the OBD-II cars it will generally set a code if the fuel cap isn't sealed correctly, but not on your OBD-I 1994.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:27 AM

about 20% of the time I buy gas (New Jersey) the dude cross threads my cap and I have to put it on right and clean gas off the side of the car.

I try to do it myself but it doesnt always work out
Old 10-21-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
There's a vent system consisting of a rubber hose off the top of the tank, to a charcoal canister in the driver's rear fender. The charcoal strips the hydrocarbon vapor out of the venting gasses, and stores it. A "purge" system pulls fresh air in through the charcoal to remove the HC vapor and burn it in the engine. You might have a small A/F balance problem with the system not correctly vented, but it shouldn't have a major impact on engine operation. In the OBD-II cars it will generally set a code if the fuel cap isn't sealed correctly, but not on your OBD-I 1994.
Well I replaced the gas cap and I still get gas stains on the rear fender. I am going to look at the charcoal canister in the rear and also investigate the EVAP purge solenoid to see if it's working properly. I even noticed that there are gas stains around where the fuel pump bolts in on top of the gas tank (did the trap door method of installing the new pump). Maybe I'm getting excessive vapor pressure buildup in the tank??