General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

fuel pump install time? rear end gears time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:01 AM

Question fuel pump install time? rear end gears time?

Need to get a fuel pump installed, and new gears put in too. Want to know how much time should i be charged for this work. One guy told me for the fuel pump, you need to take out the rear end to get the gas tank out, is this true?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:23 AM

Re: fuel pump install time? rear end gears time?

do a search about "fuel pump access hole" i did it and worked great took 3 hours with the glue drying time

let a pro do the gears good shops will charge $300-400
Old 02-28-2006, 03:40 AM

ya, i got a quote of 5 hours for the gears.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:12 PM

Correctly changing the fuel pump would consist of dropping the tank but as stated before the access hole is easier. As for gears 5 hours is plenty fair since you have to re set pinion depth and backlash for the new gear set.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 PM

I'm doing my fp this w/e, and I'm not cutting a hole to the interior of the car. If the same shop is doing the gears, let them do the fp also if they are familar with f-bodies and have them do it the right way.
Dropping the rear is not that difficult..only a couple of bolts...changing the water pump is much more difficult IMO.
I've done a fp change in my GN and my truck so once the rear is out of the way its a piece of cake....my exhaust is coming off anyway for duals going on in a few weeks so I'll just spot weld it back up for the few weeks.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2QUIK6
I'm doing my fp this w/e, and I'm not cutting a hole to the interior of the car. If the same shop is doing the gears, let them do the fp also if they are familar with f-bodies and have them do it the right way.
Dropping the rear is not that difficult..only a couple of bolts...changing the water pump is much more difficult IMO.
I've done a fp change in my GN and my truck so once the rear is out of the way its a piece of cake....my exhaust is coming off anyway for duals going on in a few weeks so I'll just spot weld it back up for the few weeks.
A water pump is much easier. Dropping the rear end and fuel tank in the driveway is not fun. Cutting the hole is easy and fast, just seal it back up with RTV, the carpet covers where you cut anyways.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
A water pump is much easier. Dropping the rear end and fuel tank in the driveway is not fun. Cutting the hole is easy and fast, just seal it back up with RTV, the carpet covers where you cut anyways.
Not with a lift it ain't Just take out lower shock bolts, remove the sway bar and panhard rod and drop it down, leaving the LCAs and TA connected. Plus this is my wife's car, I could never live with myself if she were to be rear ended and the tank get crushed and that hole get opened up and have instant flames inside the car.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 PM

You don't have to drop the rear to change the fuel pump. I just disconnected the shocks and brake line and let the rear hang down as low as it would go. After removing the exhuast there was enough room to pull the tank. However, if your gonna pay someone to replace the gears. I would pull the rear and take it to them. It might even save you some labor without the car in the way to slow them down.