General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Fuel Pressure, Pyrometer and Mixture Gauges -- Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 AM

Fuel Pressure, Pyrometer and Mixture Gauges -- Good or Bad?

What do you guys think? I want to put in a few gauges to help me monitor my car a little better while driving. I'm thinking of the three in the title. Are they worth it to install on my 95 Z28? Also, has anyone found a triple pod for the 95s? I can only find doubles and it is driving me crazy. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 AM

None of those will really be useful for a stockish vehicle. A wideband AFR gauge is always good especially if you do any tuning or go forced induction. I believe AEM widebands are under $200 on ebay. Narrow band AFR gauges are basically useless.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:13 PM

It's not going to be stock for long, however. If I tune it, put on a high flow electric water pump, 160 thermostat, aluminum pulleys, exhaust headers, and high performance timing set, would it be worth it?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Fuel pressure is always good, even on a stock vehicle. Even stock fuel pumps go out.
Most users go with an AFR gauge, and replace the O2 sensor periodically when it goes out.
But the AFR gauge, if it has an analog output, is useful for tuning.
A pyrometer is a useful long-term way to measure how lean or rich you are running, but is useless for tuning. However, the sensor never needs to be replaced, saving money in the long run. I use a pyrometer permanently mounted, and then an LM-1 Portable Wideband when I want to tune. Plus I use the LM-1 on other vehicles, which you cannot do if it is permanently mounted.
Not sure what you mean by mixture gauge. If you have an automatic, a transmission temperature gauge is useful.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 PM

In terms of useful gauges I would go for an oil pressure gauge as a first choice, then Fuel Pressure, and then if your heart is set on 3 a Wideband AFR, but you really only need Oil & Fuel Pressure as good measures.

You could also do something out of the box and go with a volt gauge as the 3rd more for looks than helpfulness....
Old 05-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Koolaid:

Thanks, that helps a lot! Yeah, I figure an AFR (what I meant by mixture) and fuel pressure gauge will come in handy right now. The Pyrometer was just kind of a third gauge, but I would be more likely to get an Amperage gauge, now that I did more research. I'll eventually run boost and spray, but for now that would probably do it.

96:
Yeah, AFR would really be awesome, I think.

I guess that leads me to two other questions:
What's the difference between my stock oil pressure gauge and a new one?
Also, I can't find a triple pod, so would it be a sin to permanently screw three pods into the A-tower???
Old 05-23-2010, 07:32 PM

You are welcome. I suspected you meant AFR, but I did not want to assume. You don't need both, so the pyrometer is not needed.
All the gauges in our vehicles are estimators. That is, their accuracy is very poor. Figure out what is most important to you and get accurate gauges for those functions.
If boost is in your future, I would recommend a vacuum/boost gauge. It will work in vacuum mode all the time, and when you go FI it will be ready for you.
Where have you looked for a triple pod? I know they make them for LS1 vehicles, it is odd that you can't find one for your car. And don't butcher it up by putting 3 singles on there, please.
Speed Inc. has a triple for t-top cars, btw.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Alright great, I'll go with the AFR instead, then. I would rather replace the 02 and get a direct reading. I guess I'll go with Fuel Pressure, AFR, and Vacuum then. Seems like that would probably be the best option at this point.

Haha, I figured as much. I looked on both Amazon and on eBay and every triple I saw was made for 97 and newer or 93 and older. I heard some people trim them for the 95 despite is being a bad fit, but I can't find them anywhere for my 95 z28. I'll check out Speed, Inc.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 PM

I dug a bit further and you are correct, it does not fit. They make up to a 92, then 97 and on, but not a 93-96. What's up with that?
Anyone?
BTW, those are good, solid choices for gauges. Just get quality units, and don't cheap out with fleabay stuff. I run AutoMeter, which are on the high side as far as price, but I trust them completely.

Last edited by koolaid_kid; 05-23-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 AM

That's what I hear. I plan on running AutoMeter as well. Yeah it has something to do with the air vent on the dash and the t-tops combination from what I get from other forums and forum members trying to do the same thing. Some guys over at LS1Tech were having the same issue. I'm not going to put singles on, but what I might end up doing is getting a 97 and then cut and fill the vinyl seems, sand them down and then paint them. I think Injuneer did something similar. But I'll have a triple pod one way or another.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by FastandBlue
I would rather replace the 02 and get a direct reading.
Say what now?

Last edited by MikeGyver; 05-24-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Most users go with an AFR gauge, and replace the O2 sensor periodically when it goes out.
Going off of him, actually.

Also, I want a good gauge that looks nice. I like AutoMeter, but are their any other gauges out that that have an output for tuning that are styled differently?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by FastandBlue
That's what I hear. I plan on running AutoMeter as well. Yeah it has something to do with the air vent on the dash and the t-tops combination from what I get from other forums and forum members trying to do the same thing. Some guys over at LS1Tech were having the same issue. I'm not going to put singles on, but what I might end up doing is getting a 97 and then cut and fill the vinyl seems, sand them down and then paint them. I think Injuneer did something similar. But I'll have a triple pod one way or another.
That is what I read also, there is a vent that gets in the way. Apparently it is for Camaros only, Firebirds are fine. I also read that users took the triple pod and modified it to work, as you suggest. Sucks, but a work around exists. Injuneer is an excellent source for information, as always.
A popular Wideband is the Innovate series, although there have been issues with the grounds. Whatever Wideband you get, make sure it has an analog output so you can use it for tuning. There are some that are just eye candy, no analog output, so they are useless for tuning.
AFA the life of the O2 sensor, it varies. My LM-1 is around 8 years old, but I only use it when tuning or analyzing vehicle performance. Making sure it is always powered seems to extend the life. When you go to replace it, you won't be very happy about the price. But that is the way of a hot rod.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Administrator

I think my name got mentioned only because I molded my 2-gauge pod to the stock pillar, and repainted it to match the factory interior. I really don't know what people have done to use the 97-02 Camaro part in earlier years.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-U...Q5fAccessories

All brand gauges use the same Bosch sensor BTW.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure, Pyrometer and Mixture Gauges -- Good or Bad?