General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Fuel Gauge is busted

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Angry Fuel Gauge is busted

Last night i had to replace my fuel pump. When i got it all back together the fuel gauge doesnt work anymore. What can cause this. Is there something I forgot to hook up? The gauge goes all the way past full and doesnt move. I was wondering about some kinda ground or something that might cause this. Please help, this is frustrating after all that work.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Re: Fuel Gauge is busted

You probably gimped up something with the float arm when putting the assembly back in. Likely you will have to pull it all back out to check it. It's happened to numerous people.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:11 AM

i sure hope you cut a hole in your trunk.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:19 AM

Cut a hole in my trunk?!?!?!?! Why would I do that. Is that how some of you guys get to your fuel pump. Ha ha it would probably be easier that way. I cant believe you have to take off most of the exhaust to get the tank down. Hey shoebox, what do people usually screw up. I plan to take it back out, but I want to kinda get an idea of what to look for. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Boss
Cut a hole in my trunk?!?!?!?! Why would I do that. Is that how some of you guys get to your fuel pump. Ha ha it would probably be easier that way.
http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html
Old 05-09-2005, 10:51 AM

Wow, that looks like alot of work too. It wasnt really that hard to take the tank out, the hardest part was getting around the exhaust main pipe. Next time I am going to put the car on the lift to do it so I can easily take the main pipe out. Have alot of you guys done the trap door thing???
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 AM

Wow, that looks like alot of work too. It wasnt really that hard to take the tank out, the hardest part was getting around the exhaust main pipe. Next time I am going to put the car on the lift to do it so I can easily take the main pipe out. Have alot of you guys done the trap door thing???
Its not a lot of work. It took me 15 mins to cut the hole then you just unhook the fuel lines and remove the pump. I'm glad i did mine that way because i screwed up my fuel gauge and it only took me 15 mins to pull the pump back out fix the problem and drop it back in.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 AM

So what was wrong with yours when you had to take it back out and fix it. I am just trying to get an idea of what I screwed up. Are those senders easy to break or anything or do you think something just didnt get put back in there right.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:39 AM

So what was wrong with yours when you had to take it back out and fix it. I am just trying to get an idea of what I screwed up. Are those senders easy to break or anything or do you think something just didnt get put back in there right.
My problem was the clear plastic flexible fuel line was in the way of the sending unit so when the tank was full the line wouldn't let the float go any higher than 1/2 tank.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 AM

Well mine is completely stuck all the way over on full. Its like I didnt hook something up. Are there any wires or ground wires I forgot to hook up. I once heard that if the sender isnt grounded, it wont read right. It could be anything, looks like she is coming back out. Let me know if you can think of anything to check outside the tank before pulling it. Thanks!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Well mine is completely stuck all the way over on full. Its like I didnt hook something up. Are there any wires or ground wires I forgot to hook up. I once heard that if the sender isnt grounded, it wont read right. It could be anything, looks like she is coming back out. Let me know if you can think of anything to check outside the tank before pulling it. Thanks!!!

Just cut the hole, you will be glad you did after you're done. Almost everyone cuts the hole.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Just cut the hole, you will be glad you did after you're done. Almost everyone cuts the hole.
That is one of the funniest sounding posts ever, that is some sig material. I know what your talking about, but nobody else would.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:08 PM

WHOA, I just realized you live in Newton KS, I went to college in Hesston. You dont happen to be a Bethel student do ya????
Old 05-09-2005, 01:18 PM

And....I saw on your site you used to have some chrome 5 star rims on your car and you replaced them with vette rims. Do you still have the old 5 star rims? I hate my salad shooter rims.

Last edited by Z28Boss; 05-09-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:14 PM

Nah i don't have any of my old rims anymore. I don't go to bethel i go to WSU. I know a few Bethel students and even 1 Hesston guy. He plays baseball. If you are wanting a good local site you might try www.ksfba.org. Its our kansas fbody board. A lot of the guys are up around the KC area. Its nice for trying to find those big items like rims and hoods that you don't want to have shipped to you.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge is busted