General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Formula rear turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 AM

Formula rear turn signal problem

I know someone out there has had this same problem I'm having. The right turn signal won't flash but the left one will. The 1157's light up both elements when you activate the right turn signal but they won't flash. The larger single element bulbs don't light up at all even with the lights on but the smaller bulbs do. I have tried four different tailight harnesses from parts cars I've had but they all seem to have problems. The sockets don't appear to be corroded but I can't really tell about the connections on the bottom of the socket.
Do I just need to cut and splice in all new sockets? Could the resistance on the wire be different since the right lights are further from the flasher and cause the flasher to not work because the flasher is old? (shot in the dark). I am perplexed and not good with electricity so any help I get would be great.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Check the "right front" bulb and sockets. If they're out the backs wouldn't flash either.
You should be able to look into the sockets and see if there is corrosion or not!!! If they are heavily corroded you will have to replace them, slice in new ones.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 AM

Dude, I am having the same problem. It has costs me a couple of tickets and a large headache. With mine, if I bump the light fixture, the light comes on. When I look at the wires, I don't see a short. However, when I removed some of the old dried up socket grease, the light started working better. I'm lost! Someone please help!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 AM

Same thing happened on my 94 formula, left side signal would sometimes work, sometimes flash slow, sometimes not flash at all. Turned out to be a bad lamp socket in the rear. Way I found it was with the signal on and it not flashing one of the two rear bulbs had both filaments lit but dimly, not as bright as the other lamp. Problem was the ground for that lamp socket, problem was internal to it so I had to replace the socket. Good to go after that.
Dont bother with used sockets, seem this is a common problem with these cars. I would just replace the sockets with new.