General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Firebird headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 02:27 PM

Firebird headlight problem

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew how to fix this. Theres a setting for the firebird where you can make your headlamps come up but not turn on when you're lamp switch is in parking lights mode. I just turned this feature on and really need to turn it off, so the haedlamps only come up when its in headlamp mode. Any suggestions?? It tells how to put it in this mode in the owners manual, but not how to disable it. Thanks for any help!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:09 AM

Re: Firebird headlight problem

On my 1995 T/A if you turn the switch to the first positon the park lamps come on, if you turn it to the second positon the headlights come on, then if you turn it back to the first position the park lights are on and the headlights stay up but not illuminated. I beleive this feature is for cleaning the headlights. If you just want park lights on turn it to the first position.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mgregg
Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew how to fix this. Theres a setting for the firebird where you can make your headlamps come up but not turn on when you're lamp switch is in parking lights mode. I just turned this feature on and really need to turn it off, so the haedlamps only come up when its in headlamp mode. Any suggestions?? It tells how to put it in this mode in the owners manual, but not how to disable it. Thanks for any help!
If your headlight gear is stripped (makes a terrible noise when they open or close) your lights will do this whether you like it or not and you have no control over it... until you fix the stripped gear
Old 01-09-2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by mgregg
I had this happen to me when I was working with the motors. After I reconnected everything, the headlights would come up when I switched from OFF to PARKING. I found that whichever position the headlight is in when you plug in the power connectors is the "default" setting for the PARKING position.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:39 PM

Six Speed you are a genius, I owe you. My gears do grind and it was really annoying to have them grind everytime i used the keyless entry, but unpluggng the connectors solved it.
Thanks

Brent, sorry about the multiple postings and old sig file, wont happen again. i tried the free solution to the headlamp motor but now the gears grindgoingdown instead of up. Looks like I 'll be investing in the brass ones soon. Thanks for the info on that fix.