General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Exhaust rattle (Borla) fixed !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 09:38 AM

Thumbs up Exhaust rattle (Borla) fixed !!

And it would have been for Free !!! , but I tipped the guy $ 5.00.

The exhaust shop put it up on the rack, and determined that the pipe that runs over the axle was too close to the body, and rubbing on occasion.

So, he moved it over, retightened the mounting strap nut, tack welded part of the strap (not the nut !), and then proceeded to touch up a few of the previous welds that were leaking.

Another fine job by CXI - the previous owner had gone there.

Anyway, we take it down from the rack, and he tells me to test drive it to make sure it's fixed.

WaLa !

I take it back to find out how much. The guys tells me nothing - all he did was fixed a rattle.

Yeah, but it spent at least 30 minutes on the rack !!

It is so nice not to hear that dam rattle anymore.

Just figured I'd spread the happy news.

Britt
Old 08-04-2003, 06:11 PM

good job
Old 08-04-2003, 10:54 PM

EXCELLENT!!! We need more shops like that!

It reminds me of when my friend took his Bullitt (Mustang) to Gateway tire to get a nail hole patched. They put the car on the lift, pulled the tire, patched it, put it back on the rim, and back on the car. No charge! He was still on the OEM tires and had never bought tires from Gateway before.

When I needed tires, guess who I called first? I called Gateway. Too bad they can't order Kumhos though.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:15 PM

NEWBIE T/A, can you describe what you mean when you say he "moved it over"?

Your problem sounds exactly like the problem I see when I try to install mine, but I saw the contact with the body and knew it was unacceptable. I'm trying to convince Borla that they have a problem, but they're reluctant to want to know that they have a problem (even though I have tried two kits and both have the same problem). So this is good information. Any information will be appreciated so I can forward it to Borla.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2004, 07:38 AM

Lightbulb It's been a while, but ...

Seems like the passenger side was making contact with the frame rail perhaps.

The exhaust guy took a big screwdriver, pried it over a bit, and then did a little tack welding to the hanger to insure that it stayed in place.

The 'funny" thing about this was that I had been under the car many times looking for this problem, and never saw what he did.

The area in question was before the muffler where the inlet pipe meets the 3 bolt flange - it was the pipe itself that was rubbing.

Oh -

It only did this when warm , and was noticeable at idle - nowehere else.

Hope this helps !

Britt
Old 05-26-2004, 12:10 PM

Excellent, thanks for the followup comments! (And I did notice that your posts were about 8 months old, even.)

I'm a little surprised that of the several comments I've found where people have had problems with interference with a Borla "bolt-on" kit, it doesn't seem like people report those problems to Borla! It's disappointing because now I have two kits sitting at my house which don't fit right since Borla still hasn't fixed their problem because they apparently didn't know about it.

I would think if people are spending this much money on a "bolt-on", they would expect it to... bolt on. So I'm trying to convince Borla that they need to review the design.

(my kit is for a '96 -- I'm assuming the '99 uses the same pieces in the area of the problem (I suspect the Y-pipe just behind the axle))

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 05-26-2004, 04:43 PM

Mine is completely bolted on with no welds and has been their almost two years and about 15,000 miles.

It had some rattles/vibrations in the begining, one of them was where the cross brace (cat back starts factory piping ends) meet, I ditched the Borla clamp and used and regular muffler clamp then put washers over the bolts to the cross brace so it sat a little lower and didnt bounce off the pipe.
(although it still will rattle on ocasion if I hit a pot hole on a highway)

I had only one other, I think it was in the same place- over the axle, we had alot of trouble fitting that big pipe in that small area, but after a wile I finly pried it and re-bolted it correctly, no problems since.

~Chris