General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

EVAP system, Vapor canister questions....P1441

Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 AM

No gas

I have a 2001 3.8 Camaro that I JUST bought a week ago and they day I went to look at it they said it wouldnt start because of the fuel relay, since then it hasn't started on 2 different occasions, i've checked all the fuses and relays and they all work. I've also banged on the gas tank to try and jump the fuel pump and it still wouldnt start. I've read it could be the charcoal canister or the EVAP line, is this true and how do I fix it? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM

I don't think the evap system would cause the car too not start. Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key halfway? Should make a whining noise. You may also have a clogged fuel filter if its original. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by El Guapo
I have a 2001 3.8 Camaro that I JUST bought a week ago and they day I went to look at it they said it wouldnt start because of the fuel relay, since then it hasn't started on 2 different occasions, i've checked all the fuses and relays and they all work. I've also banged on the gas tank to try and jump the fuel pump and it still wouldnt start. I've read it could be the charcoal canister or the EVAP line, is this true and how do I fix it? Thanks.
You might want to post your question in the V6 forum or maybe the fuel/ignition forum. Fuel pressure issues are checked with a pressure test gauge.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Have you attempted to run the pump using the fuel pump prime connector, which bypasses the relay and the computer interlocks?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

Re: EVAP system, Vapor canister questions....P1441

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The two hoses to the canister both connect to something. Looks like you pulled the one off the purge line that goes to the engine. The middle pipe on the canister is the fresh air inlet. Nothing connects to it. Shoebox has the diagrams.

http://shbox.com/1/evap_system.jpg
I hate to bring up an old thread, but I have been smelling gas bad on my 96 camaro z28 for sometime and getting the P0441 code. I had already replaced the purge solenoid switch so today I had the ultimate joyous time of replacing the vapor canister and canister purge valve. I was a grease monkey when I was done (dirty car underneath). I thought I was never going to get the vapor canister snapped back on the bracket at the inside back of the fender. I also thought the air vent hose was a vacuum hose and that I had disconnected it from something under the car and freaked out, but now I find out it is just an air vent / inlet hose and connects to nothing underneath the car.
I had a question about the diagram in the link above. Does the hose with the canister purge valve connect to the purge tube or the tank tube connection on the vapor canister? It seems like the canister purge valve would connect to the purge tube, but maybe that makes too much sense. It shows the canister purge valve connecting to the tank tube on the vapor canister in the one picture with both vacuum hoses on the canister. Please, please let me know.
Thank you very much,
James