General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:01 AM

emissions question

i am about to get some pacesetter lt's and i was wondering what i need to buy to make my car pass emissions
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned

Re: emissions question

Well your going to need to not only modify those headers to put the emissions equipment ontop them to allow air to be forced into them but your going to have a run time finding all the equipment also if you dont already have it, anything the car came with stock is whats needed to pass emissions, you must modify your new headers to acomidate the old equipment, thats why its always funny to hear people getting lt's and still worry about passing emissions, you are basicly wasteing $600 if you arnt useing the car souly for the track...
Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 AM

so i would be better off just to keep the stock stuff and put it on every two years for emissions only
Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Šenial™
Well your going to need to not only modify those headers to put the emissions equipment ontop them to allow air to be forced into them but your going to have a run time finding all the equipment also if you dont already have it, anything the car came with stock is whats needed to pass emissions, you must modify your new headers to acomidate the old equipment, thats why its always funny to hear people getting lt's and still worry about passing emissions, you are basicly wasteing $600 if you arnt useing the car souly for the track...

Last edited by TedH; 08-10-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Pacesetter does make smog leagal headers, but they are not long tubes. They would be better than stock, not as good as lt's.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

indeed they make emission friendly headers, and would be much better then stock manifolds, and yet again, longtube headers are worthless unless you are useing them for the track
Old 08-09-2006, 04:44 PM

i already have edellbrock shorty's i just want more out of my car
Old 08-09-2006, 04:52 PM

denial is back.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Banned

Well then move into a different area to start improveing, you already have a less restrictive exhaust with the headers, y pipe, and catback.. looking at your sig though it looks as if you didnt even touch the motor yet, just did the exhaust, you cant expect to see jaw dropping results just putting a catback and headers on, sure itll sound nice but wont put down to many numbers on the dyno
Old 08-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Šenial™
indeed they make emission friendly headers, and would be much better then stock manifolds, and yet again, longtube headers are worthless unless you are useing them for the track
What is your basis for that statement? LT's generally provide better low end torque, making them very useful for the street.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:55 PM

They're not technically street legal since you have to relocate the cats from their stock position. Depending on how lax your local emissions testing is, you might be able to get away with it. But, since you're already running an ORY, it sounds like you don't have much to worry about.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What is your basis for that statement? LT's generally provide better low end torque, making them very useful for the street.
I didnt necessarly mean worthless, just it would be alot of effort just to get that couple hp over other non lt headers, like the relocation of the cat, clearence issues, and them probably not even being legal in his area
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Banned

dont listen to the scammer.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:05 PM

i have an lt4 hot cam that i am putting in it in about a month or so so i will have some engine work. i was always under the impression that if you want the best performance long tubes is the way to go. i plan on doing much more to my car when i get the money for it.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by IROC-T
Pacesetter does make smog leagal headers, but they are not long tubes. They would be better than stock, not as good as lt's.
Pacesetter does make the emissions style long tubes and the race style long tubes. I have the emissions style long tubes and they have the provisions for the AIR and EGR systems.

Quick Reply: emissions question