General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Electrical spray cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Electrical spray cleaner

Hello all, i've tried searching but couldn't really find any good solid answers, is it okay to use the crc brand electical cleaner spray, or any brand at that, on the sensors such as map sensor, tps, iac, iat, etc. And not spraying the wise harness guys i'm asking about spraying the actual sensor parts themselves. Thank you for any input and help. Figured if i can i shoul to help extend life etc
Old 09-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Most of those don't have any exposed electronics and would not benefit. Electronics spray would be ok for the MAF and IAT. I don't see how it would have any real life extending benefits aside from cleaning it to perform as it should.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 PM

okay thank you. so cleaning the other ones would benefit me, how do i go about that? just take map for example, just un-bolt it and clean out anything that looks like dirt, gunk, etc?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't clean the MAP sensor. The internal sensing element is a very thin metal diaphragm, functioning as a "strain gauge" (changing resistance based on the bending stress induced by the vacuum applied to it). You don't want to spray or stick anything in the small hole that allows manifold vacuum to reach the diaphragm. It shouldn't be getting dirty, based on location, and the fact it is pointing downwards. Leave it alone.

Coolant and IAT sensors are thermally variable resistors encased in metal or plastic housings. Clean the housing off, but you can't clean the sensing element. The IAC is a small electrical stepper motor that moves the pintle in and out. The service manuals caustion against spraying anything in or on the sensor in such a way at to saturate the motor windings. You can very gently clean the pintle, with throttle body cleaner. But don't spray electrical cleaner on the internals.

The TPS is a rheostat, so that might respond to cleaning. The MAF obiously needs cleaning, but there is a cleaner made specifially for the MAF by CRC.