General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Electrical problem lights flickering!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:10 AM

Angry Electrical problem lights flickering!

Ok,

I have some crazy issues (mainly with my fog lights). Hoping someone out there can help.

Whenever I first get in my car after it has been sitting.....If I rev the car and let the revs drop the fog lights go off and right back on. Also, if I have the internal map light(s) on (on the mirror), it will sometimes flicker on and off as well. This happens when I'm driving and when I'm sitting in the driveway trying to reproduce it. It mostly happes when the car is cold but does also happens when I'm crusiing down the road (less often though).

the dealer installed some type of harness on the alternator (which checked out fine) "Install harness as described in Document ID#1578672" but it is still happening. Just noticed today and will call back tomorrow. They have had my car forever so don't really want to drop it back off. This was "repaired" just before my warranty expired so it will still be covered as it is a re-occuring issue.........oh yeah, the radio display used to partially fade ina and out and the part install seemed to fix that. Might have solved the interior light issue but not certain.

Hope someone else has had this problem and was able to get it fixed.....is really annoying!

Thx in advance for any help.

Sunset_Z
Old 01-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Re: Electrical problem lights flickering!

alternator is starting to go south
Old 01-11-2005, 08:00 PM

It has done it from day one, I purchased the car new (and it has ~25k on it now). It has always been intermittent. Sometimes does it on the freeway, at start up etc. Also, it is only the Fog lights/map lights and not the regular headlights which seems odd for an alternator (do these fade out first due to setup?). The alternator was checked by the tech and found to be ok. Such a short glich probably wouldn't show up though?

Apparently, there is some technical bulletin about this being observed but was mainly with cars that had sat awhile or something to that effect (low charge on batt where alternator charging wasn't sufficient...). Will talk to the actual mechanic and not just the service rep when I go back in. I would rather it be just the alternator.........hope your right. I'm suspicious it is something else though.

Was hoping that given all the crap that goes wrong with these cars that somewhere on this board a number of people had a similiar issue and solved it. For example, replacing the alternator under warranty due to problems like this....heh
Old 01-12-2005, 03:46 PM

i had mine checked out by a tech as well - and it checked out fine - 2 weeks later it went out - the best way to check is to take it off the vehicle and bench test it - when we did mine, after shutting off current to the alternator, it was still drawing over 10 volts from the power source. i ended up just getting a remanufactured unit from autozone with a lifetime warranty (and got money back for the core exchange)