General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Electrical Issue Dash and Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 04:20 PM

Electrical Issue Dash and Radio

I have dealt with this problem for a while now about over a month so i know the symptoms pretty well its starting to get worse and is fairly annoying actually so finally thought i ask for help. First off did an engine swap in this car with my other lt1 camaro to keep the miles and manual transmission with me. That was a whole year ago all was great electrically, except that the security light never went out due to vats delete and ABS INOP and brake light also never go out because I never did the procedure to bleed the brakes properly but the car stops great so never bothered to fix it.

So my problem is everytime I hit a bump big or small or go on a bumpy road my dash lights flicker the SECURITY and ABS INOP lights do not flicker or dim they stay lit as always, LOW TRAC always always comes on instantaneously when this happens and it flickers and dims as if its related to the problem, BRAKE dims in and out AIR BAG light does not always come on during every bump but it does pretty often and when it does it flashes in and out as if the car was just started maybe? HEADLIGHTS Dim and flicker too which is not entirely a issue because I do not have to drive the car at night but when I do its unnoticeable the RADIO shuts off during every bump, the radio is a aftermarket touchscreen been in the car sense I swapped the engine so i doubt that its the radios fault the ENGINE has no issues running at all has no idea whats happening in the cabin and never has.

Ive replaced all grounds on the car all wires to the starter block and alternator long before any of these symptoms started happening so i really do not know whats going on I read on here similar symptoms that it could be the BCM but that only applies to a 95 car or higher right? None of the guages drop low or stop reading only the lights I have mentioned any thoughts help thank you.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:27 PM

Re: Electrical Issue Dash and Radio

I own both 1997 Z28 LT1 & 1999 SS LS1 and both radios do that when hitting a bump. Oddly the fix is to hit the side of the dash where your right knee is at. Sometimes the radio never comes on so you gotta do a light hit. The LS1 has stopped doing that the last few months but did it a few days ago lol. I read a while back it has to do with bad soldering somewhere under the dash. The other fix is unlocking and locking the door button or hold down the window or lock and bang the side of the dash if it's serious.

Last edited by 1999ls1ss; 11-25-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Electrical Issue Dash and Radio

Originally Posted by 1999ls1ss
I own both 1997 Z28 LT1 & 1999 SS LS1 and both radios do that when hitting a bump. Oddly the fix is to his the side of the dash where your right knee is at. Sometimes the radio never comes on so you gotta do a light hit. The LS1 has stopped doing that the last few months but did it a few days ago lol. I read a while back it has to do with bad soldering somewhere under the dash. The other fix is unlocking and locking the door button or hold down the window or lock and bang the side of the dash if it's serious.
The BCM solder issue only affects the radio and windows, not the other things the OP mentioned. The OP doesn't have a BCM in a 94 car anyway.