General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Electric Issue Locks/Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:28 PM

Electric Issue Locks/Windows

I think it had started due to my t-tops leaking.

Basically my PASS Side window will not work with either switch (LH or RH). The PASS Side door lock will only work with the drivers side(LH) switch. I'm not really sure where to start. I'm planning on taking the door of and testing the switches, but i find it hard to believe that they would both go bad at the same time. I'm not really sure which fuse is for the locks or the windows, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM

also... both door locks work with the key FOB.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 AM

The lock switches and your passenger side window switch are all three the same switch internally. If your driver door lock switch works, try plugging it in on the passenger side on either the window or the lock. If I remember right, both sides have to have A switch plugged into them for either switch to work, so when you try your passenger side lock with your driver side switch, plug your passenger side switch in where the dr. side switch was. Make any sense? If your careful, you can also pop the covers off and change them from window to lock covers if you need to. I've got a couple extra sets of these switches. I would send you a pair for the passenger door if you find that to be your problem for $5 plus shipping. Not sure where you are, so dont know how much it would be to ship. Couldnt be very much for a box that small and lite. Might check local salvage or even Oreillys, thats where I bought my main Dr. side switch from before I had all these parts cars. Just remember both locks and pass. window are the same switch so if they list one and not the other, all you need to do is change the cover.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Are there fuses for the door locks/ and power windows. Because I hate to test the switches first.

BTW idk if this is related to the issue, but my turn signals don't flash. They remain lit when they are activated.
I also think this door/window issue may have been caused by a leaking t-top on the passenger side.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:12 AM

you'll have to look in your fuse box, should say on the cover. If your locks work with the remote, and your dr. side window works, its not the fuses or relays. switch is easy to test. take the screw out of the little pod where they sit and swap one for the other. if nothing then pop the one out of your dr. side pod. They just pop off, just do it slowly so you dont break any tabs.

As far as your signals, could be a relay, bad bulb somewhere on both sides, or could be the switch on the column. Relay should be right under the dash, right of the steering column clipped to the dash. May have to drop the panel under the steering column. For pointers use shoeboxs personal page http://shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html Bookmark that site, he has tons of info for our cars on there. Be sure to check out his main tech page as well, more good info there. On your signals, have you tried the flashers to see if they all work? Have you walked around the car to make sure none of the bulbs are out anywhere with just park lights on and then with each signal activated? The flashers/hazzards use their own seperate flasher relay, so dont freak out if they work and your signals still dont. Still could be a bulb or the signal relay.

http://shbox.com/1/flashers.jpg <------- shows both flashers, I knew he had a picture on there showing that.

On your t-top, if it is leaking between the door window and the t-top there are instructions on how to adjust your window on that site too, if its leaking around the top anywhere else, you will probably need a new gasket. It isnt uncommon for a leak around the switch to corrode them out. You may get lucky and just unplug the switch and clean the studs that the plug fits over.

Last edited by 95camaroinok; 03-18-2010 at 04:17 AM.