General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Do you need to remove the...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Do you need to remove the...

I am replacing my driver side window regulator and figured I'd check here first since I'm waiting on the part. I've done a search but haven't found a write up of any sort.

Do you need to remove window from the door first to remove the regulator? Can the window and window regulator come out in once piece? The motor has been replaced and is bolted in, so I can yank that if needed before removing the regulator. I would prefer to not have to drill the window clips out and re-rivet them inside the door if possible.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 AM

The reg. and motor come out of the door through the holes on the inside, designed for that purpose, as an assembly. The window is released from the reg. by sliding the reg. roller off the lower window chanel, and it is NOT necessary to remove the window from the door. However it must be supported as it will be unsecured. If it falls or slips down it can break or get all scratch up. The window is fairly large and heavy so be careful with it.
There is a short U-chanel that runs horizontally across the inside of the door, that the other reg. roller ride in. This piece must be removed to free the reg. from the door and allow enough movement to free the reg. from the lower window chanel. If I remember correctly it's only held in with two 10mm nuts.

Question? Why are you replacing the reg.? It is very simple and seldom goes bad. I have seen the arms bend but usually you can just bend them back straigh again. And sometimes the roller/s will pop off. And these too can usually just be reattached, or replaced.

Caution: The two reg. arms are spring loaded. After removal from the door and loosening the motor bolts they will "fly apart" if not secured.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Nice post Sorr
Old 04-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Where can a replacement roller be purchased?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM

I've gotten them from the dealer in the past. May find them in the HELP parts and the auto store.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 AM

Thanks for the help, I did this a week or two ago and problem solved. I removed the regulator as recommended with no problems. Even with reusing the old motor, the window goes up and down MUCH faster now. I had the help of an aviation mechanic and a hanger full of tools. I did have to buy a rivet gun to pull 1/4 inch rivets though.

The only tricky part was getting the new regulator "in position" to go in the door. We marked the old regulator gear's position from the motor. With the window half way down (good position for the regulator) it was something like 5 teeth from one side. The motor must be removed outside the door to keep things in place. The new regulator was flexed into position as best we could and safety wired it to not expand (big zip tie would work too). The new motor was then bolted in and plugged in, that way we could use the window switch to move the regulator further to where it needed to be so it could fit in the access hole. Cut the safety wire, unplug, put in door, adjust, done. Definitely a 2 man job with having to balance the window.

The regulator without a motor was like 75 bucks from the dealership, having a new spring and all new rollers made a huge difference. I may even do this to the passenger side even though it's not broken.

Hopefully this will help someone else down the line.