General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Diesel in an fbody? (dont laugh..)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:15 AM
dgZ

Diesel in an fbody? (dont laugh..)

Hey all, lately I've been having crazy thoughts about diesel engines. The need for some kind of relief of gas prices sparked the thoughts for me. (Gas around here is over $1.20 a LIRTE, meaning about $4.54 a gallon) Turbo diesel engines such as the duramaxs and cummins now put out respectable horsepower numbers with amazing torque while staying easy on fuel. If they move a full size around at 20 mpg they would probably do well in an fbody. I doubt those powerplants would fit in the engine bay of a 4th gen, but perhaps one of the older gens of fbodys may accomodate? Has a swap like this happened before? Ive done a search and theres a few threads on it, but they dont really amount to anything. Before turning down the idea, give it some honest thought. The pros I can see would be greatly increased gas mileage, cheaper fuel (here, diesel is significantly cheaper than regular unleaded), respectable power, reiablility and long engine life (like 600k miles or whatever it is they get) great torque for a fun drive, the unique factor, and they are easily moddable (a good tuner can add hundreds of hp's and multiple hundred pounds of torque. I guess boost can be turned up high because fuel isnt mixed with the compressed air until combustion, so detonation is not an issue) . I also like and turbo spool and black cloud produced at WOT The cons I can think of is the engine weight, complication of the swap (things that need engine vaccuum.. computer stuff, etc) and low revving potential. Lets hear some thoughts.. try not to laugh too much
Old 05-15-2006, 01:07 AM

Re: Diesel in an fbody? (dont laugh..)

would be awsome to see done, but no please dont be a redneck and blow smoke at me well n/m id be infront of u anyways
Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 AM

I went to school with a guy that is going to put a 6.0l diesel in a 68 or 69 camaro.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:44 AM

If you pull it off, you MUST install a Semi Truck Horn...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Biggest problem would be the weight of the diesel powerplant. They're a lot heavier than gas engines.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:19 PM

also, your powerband/gearing will be all off.. Diesels redline at what? 3000 rpm? Combine that with the huge size and weight of the engine, and the drivetrain to mount up to it, it'll be a dog, unless you seriously up the power to offset the weight and the narrow powerband.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ken S
also, your powerband/gearing will be all off.. Diesels redline at what? 3000 rpm? Combine that with the huge size and weight of the engine, and the drivetrain to mount up to it, it'll be a dog, unless you seriously up the power to offset the weight and the narrow powerband.
It wouldnt be a dog. An f-body with a diesel in it would still be WAY lighter than a huge truck, come on. Tune that SOB out to over 500hp and I'm sure it'd get up real nice. But yes you are right about having to put in a new tranny, gears, etc so it'd be an expensive project and probably not worth it lol...
Old 05-15-2006, 06:38 PM
dgZ

Yes, the weight and rev range would make it an expensive project for me. A new tranny to take the torque and new gears to utilize the powerband would be absolutely necessary as well. And with the extra weight of the engine, id think id need new front suspension as well. It would be a big project, but the thing wouldnt be a dog by any means if done correctly. Think 30 mpg, 300 - 350 horsepower and a crapload of torque

... and chrome stacks would be a must
Old 05-17-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by dgZ
Yes, the weight and rev range would make it an expensive project for me. A new tranny to take the torque and new gears to utilize the powerband would be absolutely necessary as well. And with the extra weight of the engine, id think id need new front suspension as well. It would be a big project, but the thing wouldnt be a dog by any means if done correctly. Think 30 mpg, 300 - 350 horsepower and a crapload of torque

... and chrome stacks would be a must
oh god
Old 05-18-2006, 02:04 AM

haha i guess that would be cool but wierd
Old 05-18-2006, 04:43 AM

Cool if you want to pull Yankee stadium.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 PM

there was an article about diesels in musclecars in Car Craft or Motor Trend a month ago or so. i think the main argument was the fact that a diesel motor weighs quite a bit more than gas.

if you're talking strictly drag, maybe it wouldn't be that bad of an idea.