General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

cruise control unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:39 AM

cruise control unit

Ok when i bought my car i neglected to check and see if the brights worked..and well they don't..the cruise/blinker/bright light switch or lever on the steering column is broken i think. When i try to pull it back to click on the bright lights it just pulls back no click or anything..it feels like it wants to but it won't do it. So i just figure its broken or something..Everything else works on it though, the blinkers cruise all that works except my brights I thought at first that maybe i was just dumb and there was another switch or something but if i am correct i think you just pull back on it and it clicks and your brights come on right?? correct me if i am wrong. But i am tired of not having any brights so i need some help. what do you guys think?

-Lance
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 PM

Re: cruise control unit

Yes you just pull the level back and the high beams should come on.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:00 PM

When I bought my car it had the same problem what I do to turn mine on (it worked for my cousins too) Adjust the steerting wheel all the way down, then pull down on the top of the steering wheel even more, then pull the lever back for the high beams. It works everytime when I do it!!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:21 PM

Ok i tried doing what you said about pulling the steering wheel down but that didn't work. But i did put the steering wheel all the way up and then tried and they worked So i get out of the car and look to see whats goin on, and well the fog lights go off as they are suppose to, and the regular driving light on the outside on driver side stays on i dunno whats going on..the passenger side regular light goes off light it is suppose to why doesn't the other one? and why does my light switch only work when the steering wheel is all the way up?? Thanks for the replys.

-Lance
Old 11-22-2004, 07:15 PM

Your switch is out of adjustment. The lever is not the switch. The switch is located on the lower part of the steering column, under the dash. Look at the ignition switch R&R on my Tech Page and you will see how the dimmer switch is connected by a metal rod from the lever.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:35 PM

Ok i will try that out. Any ideas on why the one outer light stays on though? i know they should go off and the two inner lights are the brights and should be the only ones on. but the one outer one stays on???

Thanks

-Lance
Old 11-23-2004, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by solty202003
Ok i will try that out. Any ideas on why the one outer light stays on though? i know they should go off and the two inner lights are the brights and should be the only ones on. but the one outer one stays on???

Thanks

-Lance
sounds like you need new bulbs, all 4 lights will be on for the high beams, there are 2 filaments in each low beam bulb and 1 in each high beam bulb
Old 11-23-2004, 09:39 AM

Ok well i do have a new light for it so i will throw that in and see what happens. And also try to re-adjust my switch over my break on thanksgiving Thanks for all the info guys and have a great Thanksgiving!!!