General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Crapped out Camaroz28 (little long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 01:01 PM

Exclamation Crapped out Camaroz28 (little long)

Ok guys, I have a big problem with my Camaro. The other night I was driving it and the gas pedal or accelerator got stuck. I don't even know if the pedal was stuck or not, it seemed to work fine, but it just kept on going without me steppin on the pedal. I pumped the gas and stepped on the brakes, made sure my cruise control wasn't on. Nothing seemed to work.

At this point I'm hitting 70-80 miles and it just keeps going. I'm weaving a little through traffic and I decide I gotta do something to slow down. I can brake, but I decide to let the clutch out to see if it'll help. Nope. Engine redlines and I have to pop the clutch back in.

Now i'm going faster again and I brake to slow down. I wasn't gonna ride my brakes right through traffic to get to the next exit so I decide to kill my engine and ride in neutral for a few seconds. I was freakin' out a bit so I didn't think everything through. I'm drifiting on the freeway and I'm trying to get over to the shoulder so I can pull over. I start the engine back up and it redlines right away. Pop it back into 6th gear and it immediately starts going faster.

Now i'm freakin out and put the hazards on and weave a little trying to get over to the shoulder fast. Next thing I know the Highway Patrol comes up behind me and turns on the lights. Might've been my saving grace. I kill the engine and let the cop guide me over to the right shoulder. I left some stuff out of the story, but that's the jist of it. What the hell is wrong w/ my car??

This is the 3rd or 4th time i've had it at the dealer. This being the most dangerous and unsafe thing to ever happen. I want to file a complaint or something cuz I don't wanna be driving this car again. It's just not safe if that ever happens again while I'm driving through freeway traffic. Is there anything I can do?
Don't get me wrong, I liked the car (when it worked properly) I just don't feel I can drive it knowing it can do that at any time, especially with other ppl in the car w/ me (esp. my girl). Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:06 PM

Re: Crapped out Camaroz28 (little long)

replace your throttle body, the throttle blade was sticking open. Also check the throttle cable. Is your throttle body an aftermarket piece or the OEM orginal?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:22 PM

Throttle is OEM. Everything is OEM. Hopefully warranty covers all this. thx for the post!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:34 PM

So the news i got back was that a 'rock' was caught somewhere between the return spring on the throttle. How or why a rock could have gotten in there was attributed to 'chance' and 'one of those things'. WTF is that?!?! I could've died out on the road and that's the only reason they've given me?!? On top of that they said it's one of those things not covered under the warranty!! @#@#% So they want me to pay for taking the rock out too?!? Can't believe I bought a warranty from a company that's unwilling to pony up for taking a rock out from where it's not supposed to get to.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:42 PM

That happened to me except my spring got warped or something. Everytime it got kinda hot during the summer it would stick like that. I got a speeding ticket for it too I was pissed...the cop asked why I was going so fast, and I straight up told him, it wasn't me, the car was going that fast, my foot wasn't even on the pedal. He looked at me like I was kidding

Anyways...I just replaced the whole throttle body with another stock peice...
Old 08-30-2004, 05:34 PM

Not to be an *** or anything, but how is it GM's fault that you got a rock stuck in your throttle return spring? Its not, so why are they the bad guys when they wont pay for it? Not saying that it doesnt suck, cuz it does, but still. I had something similar happen to me, but it was my ASR that was messing up. Not quite as bad as what you said, but still.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:04 PM

I'm not a mechanic in any sense, but how the hell does a rock even get into the throttle body? isn't that a serious safety issue?? I've taken care of the car doing regular servicing. My life was on the line and this wasn't even the first problem I've had with this car. This is a great car when it's functioning properly, but when it's not...
The people at the dealer didn't even call this in to the warranty service. When I called in there was no report that it was ever called in. I was told to get the dealer to call it in. Does that mean the dealer was deciding if the service was covered by the warranty?
If GM doesn't have my safety in mind when building or repairing my car, why should I get back into that car? I've never heard of this happening to anyone else. Could it possibly be a defect in just my car? I don't know, but it would sure help to find out just for the sake of every other Camaro owner out there wouldn't it? To just flat out deny anything is wrong with a rock ending up in the throttle body is ignorant.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:17 PM

Are you sure the rock was *IN* the throttle body and not just like, wedged in the linkage area?

I don't see why a rock would be covered under warranty..
Old 08-30-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dunkin' Donut
Ok guys, I have a big problem with my Camaro. The other night I was driving it and the gas pedal or accelerator got stuck. I don't even know if the pedal was stuck or not, it seemed to work fine, but it just kept on going without me steppin on the pedal. I pumped the gas and stepped on the brakes, made sure my cruise control wasn't on. Nothing seemed to work.

At this point I'm hitting 70-80 miles and it just keeps going. I'm weaving a little through traffic and I decide I gotta do something to slow down. I can brake, but I decide to let the clutch out to see if it'll help. Nope. Engine redlines and I have to pop the clutch back in.

Now i'm going faster again and I brake to slow down. I wasn't gonna ride my brakes right through traffic to get to the next exit so I decide to kill my engine and ride in neutral for a few seconds. I was freakin' out a bit so I didn't think everything through. I'm drifiting on the freeway and I'm trying to get over to the shoulder so I can pull over. I start the engine back up and it redlines right away. Pop it back into 6th gear and it immediately starts going faster.

Now i'm freakin out and put the hazards on and weave a little trying to get over to the shoulder fast. Next thing I know the Highway Patrol comes up behind me and turns on the lights. Might've been my saving grace. I kill the engine and let the cop guide me over to the right shoulder. I left some stuff out of the story, but that's the jist of it. What the hell is wrong w/ my car??

This is the 3rd or 4th time i've had it at the dealer. This being the most dangerous and unsafe thing to ever happen. I want to file a complaint or something cuz I don't wanna be driving this car again. It's just not safe if that ever happens again while I'm driving through freeway traffic. Is there anything I can do?
Don't get me wrong, I liked the car (when it worked properly) I just don't feel I can drive it knowing it can do that at any time, especially with other ppl in the car w/ me (esp. my girl). Any ideas?
That happened on my dad's Z28 too, our cheap intake's rubber wears and peels overtime due to the air vacume and gets caught in the butterfly's and keeps the throttle body open... Just remove the rubber and clean the Throttle Body... and just for preventative maintance, replace your upper intake.

Edit: I just read further, it was a rock... my bad... After you found out it was a rock, did you check your airfilter? and I thought warranties only covered self-done damage by the engine. That would mean if an exterior object causes damage to your car, it's more of an insurance issue than a warranty. In your case though, I wouldn't go insurance.

Good job on not killing anyone!
Best luck to ya!

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-30-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:24 PM

I think you and the car are cursed. The rock stuck in the throttle linkage is one of those 1 in a million freak of nature things. Maybe its a sign that you and your Z28 need to break up. Before either of you get hurt.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:28 AM

Aron, I'm coming to the same conclusion. This car might be telling me something. It was fun while it lasted! Anyone up for a Z28? 33k miles?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:46 AM

how much?? what year?? where are you?? 6 speed right??
Old 08-31-2004, 10:50 AM

99 m6 camaro

How much??

Pics available??

tim89rs
Old 09-01-2004, 02:32 PM

Sorry guys, I'll move it into the Sale Forum once I get decide to sell the car. It's a silver '99Z28, M6 with 33,500miles on it. Regular maintenance and all has been done on it. I was hoping to get around $12-14k for it and it still has 1 year of extended warranty left on it. I live in Northern California. Again, this is gonna go off topic if I keep posting about this so I'll move it over to the other forum once I get everything settled.