General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Check Gauge Light Come In

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Check Gauge Light Come In

Hey guys,

I have a stock 2002 camaro ss. I check gauge will come on for a few seconds and then go off. I does it every day, but when I check the gauges, they seem fine. Please see the attached picture. I am not sure how to go about checking to see where the issue is coming from. The gas is not low, and nothing is in the red. Thank you guys for your help.

Check Gauge Light Come In-20161026_180835_resized.jpg

Ren
Old 04-02-2017, 08:44 PM

Re: Check Gauge Light Come In

From doing some searching I came up with this...

Check gauges means just that. Check them to make sure they are in the proper operating ranges. If the temp is too high, oil pressure too low, volts too low, or fuel level too low the light will come on. If there is not a problem with any of these, then there is a deeper issue.

Most of the responses said that they needed to add gas. Apparently the gas gauges in some of the Camaros are not that accurate. So maybe when yours is showing between 1/4 and 1/2 full it is actually less.

Maybe try filling it up and see if the light still comes on like it has been.

Hope that is all it is.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:17 PM

Also I would check the gasket on the gas cap.We had a check engine light on our honda and the dealer said we needed a new cat.I checked the gasket and tightened the cap real good.The light went out in a couple of days after stopping ,starting numerous times.About 700 miles. One month later still no light.Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Sounds like one of the gauge sensors is intermittent. It may be opening the circuit briefly, just long enough to turn the "Check Gages" light on. By the time you look to see what turned on the light, the circuit has reconnected and the light goes out after a few seconds. If you could make a video of the dash while driving, you might be able to see if this is the case.

Not aware of why a problem with the gas cap would turn on the "Check Gages" (not the "check engine") light.