General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Car won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 09:19 AM

Car won't Start!

Good morning everyone. At least that's what I thought until I tried to start my car this morning. I got in turned the key, waited for that rumble, but nothing. Just a click, (no starter motor spinning). I tried it several times but only got a click, a single click when I turn the key. I put a meter on the battery, it appears to be fine. I got the car started with the push and pop method. It started right up and ran perfectly. But when I got to my destination (work), I tried starting it again with the same result. Just a click.

So what is the consensus? Is it a bad starter, starter solenoid or just a weak battery?

BTW, it has been unusually cold in San Diego (high 30's, low 40's) if anyone thinks that would make a difference?

Thanks in Advance
Old 12-03-2004, 09:41 AM

Lightbulb What is "push & pop" ?

Did you try tapping on the starter w/ a hammer ?

I don't know about newer GM starters, but in the old days they would sometimes get a bad spot & tappping ( hitting ) with a hammer, or tire tool, or whatever is handy would allow you to fire right up.

I also don't know if the new GM starters still have a seperate solenoid or not - been a while since I looked closely underneath my car.

If you don't mind pulling the starter, most parts houses will test them for free.

They also test the new ones if you ask them to - can't imagine why I would know this.

Good Luck !

Britt
Old 12-03-2004, 09:45 AM

Re: Car won't Start!

battery voltage doesn't allways matter. If it has a bad connection it will not pull enough anps to engage the starter. Check the connections at the battery. If that looks alright you should get under the car with a meter. Test for full system ground on the body of the stater, full battery voltage on the main hot wire, and then battery voltage on the small selinoid wire while cranking. If you have all of that it's probably the starter.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:10 PM

The battery is fine. I have a starter on order, will pick it up tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to check the wires.

Does anyone have any advice to change out a starter? I'm sure it isn't difficult (tight squeeze maybe, but not difficult). It's just not something I do every day.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:17 PM

And everybody forgot to mention the ignition seitch, the most annoying and forgotten part in a car. Look, if you jump the car from the starter, by hooking one end of a wire to the starter, and touching the other end to a power source (battery), and the car starts up (while the ignition is on of course) then your ignition switch is bad. Those dont tend to go out much in 4th gens yet because they are not as old, but it happens. Just something else to consider.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 PM
NJSPEEDER24

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
And everybody forgot to mention the ignition seitch, the most annoying and forgotten part in a car. Look, if you jump the car from the starter, by hooking one end of a wire to the starter, and touching the other end to a power source (battery), and the car starts up (while the ignition is on of course) then your ignition switch is bad. Those dont tend to go out much in 4th gens yet because they are not as old, but it happens. Just something else to consider.
so true

current needs to go through the ignition switch to the relay in order to get current to the starter solenoid.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:46 AM

After lifting the car up and placing it on jack stands, I was able to reach the starter. I replaced it with the starter I ordered. It is simple to do. The most difficult part is the lack of space. The biggest surprise was tightening the solenoid wire and torquing the wire lug around. I was afraid I would strip the wire or others in the boot. But after some cursing and tight finger work, it was installed. Removed the jack stands. Got in and turned the key. She started right up! Problem solved! So it was a faulty starter.

Now I don't have to worry about parking on an incline