General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Car Running HOT in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 03:59 PM

Car Running HOT in cold weather?

Hello, well my car went from running about 160* in about 45+* weather to now 210* in 35-44* weather? I have pleanty of coolant. Oil seems fine. It really started when i switched from my k&n filter to a fram filter then i wasnt able to seal the airbox totally. I was late for work and drove the car with the lid closed but the little forks on the back of the lid were slightly lifted since i wasnt able to guide them in because the fram wasnt fitting right. So i drive the car, and it was cool around 40-44* and i noticed that my temp was going up.

I figured it was because the fram wasnt allowing enough airflow through. So later that night at about 38* outside. I adjust the filter and i was able to get the lid to seal better. Drove it around for another day and the same thing. Cold windy day it shot up to 210*. i then switched back to my K&n filter with about 25k on it. (too cold to recharge it, thats why i took it off i was gunna re-oil it. but didnt get a chance to) So i place the K&n back in my SLP Lid, and the temp remains the same. Airbox is sealed nice and tight.

Now my question is WTF is goin on? Is the computer sensing the change in temps and causeing it to run warmer? Also, my check engine light has been on since one of my elec fans blew out (about 6 months ago) so the check engine light is on, and i have one fan out but those low temp #'s were with the blown elec fan.

Oil changed about 1k miles ago. Rad flush about 5k ago. Car seems to run fine. I am just worried about the temp. Is this normal for cold weather in LS1's? The last time my car ran this hot was in 98* heat during the summer. Once i get moveing the car will always cool down to 160* or so and i have a stock thermostat. But no matter how fast a drive the most it will go down is about 6-8*.

Any ideas? Maf dirty? Cold weather causeing sensors to make car run warmer?
I am really not sure what could cause my car to jump nearly 60* of running temp. Last year if i remember correctly i drove my car all winter and the temp never shot up like this.