General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Are camaros really that bad in snow and rain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 04:07 PM

Re: Are camaros really that bad in snow and rain?

i drove my 98 SS with 18" wheels and 275 tires (bald tires in the rear) through a whole winter and it was one of the worst winters of NE. I made it alright. Granted if i had snows i would have done alot better. But concidering i had BALD tires and i made it in, slush, 4" of snow. even 24" of snow i made it. I couldnt get into my drive way (45* hill) without a push. But i did alright. What helps is if you get a manual you can start off in 2nd gear and that has low rpms so you can get going without as much wheel spin.

As far as rain..my car handles like a dream. Its all about the tires. If you have good tires on the car your fine. You obviously cant mash the gas and expect great things you just have to take off slow and plan your turns. Same thing goes for snow.

I live in NE and i didnt have ANY weight in my car nor snows and i made it. Every time i shifted my car would get sideways but i made it...lol.

Camaros are wide fairly proportioned cars its just all the power that makes the wheel spin bad and that gives them a bad rap.

I have also owned nothing but rwd cars so driveing in the snow is nothing..once you get used to it. Plus its more fun with RWD cause doughnuts are a breeze
Old 10-24-2004, 04:12 PM

MY car runs pretty well in rain with my bfg all weather g-forces. I can let the backend loose if i want to. IO havent tried the snow yet.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:26 PM

I'll tell you the truth, our F-Bodies are NOT as good in these conditions as most other sedans so DON'T drive it like one. Trust me I've driven three and they've all done just about the same thing. In a Z28 I was going down the Interstate at about 50 MPH during some harsh rain and boy does she skid when she hits a puddle. I could have been going slower I agree, thats why I say DON'T drive it like a sedan. In my 3.8 V6 I was merging into a lane when a truck's wake of wind was heavy enough to send me hydroplaining into the shoulder of the road... Just let off the gas and kind of GO with it, if you fight it you'll lose control then ALL hell happens. In my RS I was coming down the interstate and it was raining PRETTY tough, I ran over a puddle at about 50 MPH and hydroplained and start crossing into the next lane, popped the shifter into Nuetral and regained control. So honeslty? you want the truth? Unless you're a good driver or/and you got some decent weather tires.... NO 4th Gens HATE the rain and snow...

Just be easy on the gas when coming from stops... I mean REALLY easy. You guys remember that Z28 who totalled his car when he was doing about 50 MPH in the rain, hydroplained, and ended up on the otherside of the highway and got smacked?... Just don't drive its like your sunshine daily driver and you should be okay...
Old 10-24-2004, 08:09 PM

I've fishtailed my car on the freeway in the rain and it sucks, barely kept it on the road. F-bodies get a bad rep because most people don't know how to drive a rwd car when the tail starts to come around. With some proper tires you should be able to pilot an F-body in all but the worst weather, though. Nothing better than driving your Camaro on packed, unplowed snow right past the 4x4 in the ditch. If you want some practice for bad situations try losing control on a dry surface first, it's much more forgiving.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:30 PM

I agree with GreenDemon you can learn how to handle it.
The first few times i fishtailed was goin to school when it was a little wet outside and itook the corners too fast. It freaked me out. I had some controlled fun on a dry surface and learned how to coutnersteer which isnt hard.

Now, as soon as i feel im losin my tail, i counter steer and can get it straightened out.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:51 PM

Just turn into the skid, thats all you need to know for snow. Rain is not hard unless like i said you have decent tires. I have hit pretty decent puddles going 70-80mph all it does is jerk your wheel a little bit. If you keep a steady hand and dont mash the gas you will be fine. Granted with Semi's its just a matter of physics. That would happen to almost any 2dr car. Same thing happened to my buddies probe (fwd v6) he hydroed when a semi passed him and he smacked the barrier.

If your 16yrs old and this is your first time out on the road then i say no, dont get the car. Get a GTP or something that will be fun and decent in all weather. Once you gain further experience driveing then get something with *****. My real first car was a built 87 monte SS. Got me into more trouble then i wanted with the law and with physics.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:56 PM
L44

I must say it was not that bad once you already started a foward motion, but everytime i got stuck at a light on a hill in the snow, it didnt matter how soft of a touch my feet had on the pedals i just couldnt get good traction, an it was with a set of winter tires i threw on, the one day was so bad i couldnt get up my own street, but i live on a big incline.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:21 PM

all it takes is practice. its not that bad. hills can be rough in the snow though. i tried to go up my parents driveway which is a very very mild angle and even in second gear i was everywhere. i had to pull in the driveway in reverse cause i kept fishtailing. other than that powersliding around corners in light snow is fun. you just gotta be careful just like any car in the snow.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lt1 and Ls1
My 2000 did good til I went with wider tires. My 94 sucked though. People used to call it snow plow because I had the WW ground effects, and the black peice that directs air to your radiator was so big it would scoop the snow.

HAHAHA. Ditto here. The snow plow. Mine sits about 1 1/2 inch from the ground. Anything past a dusting and i am plowing.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:28 PM

All I can say is that snow tires make a world of difference. I went one winter without them, and while I made it through with no disasters, it wasnt always fun, especially trying to get out of our school parking lot which had a fairly steep incline. ( Had to wait for all the cars actually on the incline to leave, then I gunned it so the momentum would let me get up the incline, luckily only had to do this twice). But snow tires, WOW! Never had any kind of problme with them. I felt like i was accelerating on dry roads sometimes, they grip pretty well. Obviously, youre still driving in snow, so there will be problems, but they rock.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:58 PM

I've driven mine year round since 1999. Only last year did I put studded snows all the way around, and that helped a bunch.

Of course, dry pavement driving suffers.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:17 PM

I'm selling my 97 Z28 for 4,000. Where are you located? It has 112,000 miles. I had it when it only had 13,000 miles. It's an auto, I had the Tranny replaced with one that has about 30,000 miles with a 2400 stall . I can give you more info if you want. I will check back on here later.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:21 PM

year round here.. however if I didnt have ASR. I wouldnt leave the driveway.

I hear the LT1s asr is more agressive than the LS1 style.. I cant take off rather briskly and if the ASR trips it doesnt slide at all..just keeps rolling.. then you can feather the gas until your moving. Once in 2nd I never had any issues, Take offs are painfully slow in deeper snow though. This will be the 3rd winter and 1st with the cam. My lower end with the 306 isn't as lively as the stock cam so I think I will be better off this year.

If the snow is over 3 1/2 inches the front end becomes a snow plow.. It took me 45 mins 2 winters ago to make a 5 minute trip. Otherwise its normally not too bad.