General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Camaro's good cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM

Camaro's good cars?

hi, I use to have an 02 camaro Z and it got totaled due to me getting rear ended. With the money i got from the wreck i was wanting to buy another camaro. My parents are begging me to buy a different car. They hate Camaro's for reasons that seem dumb. They say they are too old and my dad also says they are cheaply built cars. Do you guys agree or do you guys think i should get one. Also my camaro i had was my favorite car i ever had. I loved it and i loved the speed. Right now im trying to buy one off of this site that is a 96 with about 420 hp. I just cannot see myself driving anything else. **** Mustangs =].
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 PM

This isn't the best website to ask if they're good cars -- as 99% of us have either owned one or currently own one.

They're cheap fun cars. Sure, the build quality isn't GREAT but it's not bad either. All of my Camaro's have been fun to drive, and very affordable/reliable.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM

well, in a way it is the best site because most people on this site have modified their camaro's them self so they know the positives and the negatives. Sure they all love Camaro's, but honestly would it be better to put this up on mustang forums?? Of coarse not. Most people are very honest on this site and i believe they will tell me the truth about them, its not like they are trying to sell me one anyways.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:54 PM

I think they are good cars for people who do their own work. I could see anyone who had to take their car to a mechanic hating 4th gens quickly.

I can't imagine how much money I would have had to pay a mechanic to install a new opti, fuel filter, plugs, wires, headers, exhaust, rear end, rear suspension, rear shocks, steering rack,belt, CAI, etc.

Those are just the things I have done since last April.

I do like my car a lot though, but I work on my own cars. This is my 3rd F-Body, and I love em.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM

My parents are begging me to buy a different car.
They haven't suggested a Toyota, have they?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 PM

They say they are too old and my dad also says they are cheaply built cars
I agree with your dad

I think they are good cars for people who do their own work
I agree with Adam
Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

They're not built poorly, but they were built inexpensively. The materials aren't what people expect today, and you get some rattles as they get old (especially if you wait too long before installing subframe connectors and upgrading the shocks). The turn signal lever is the same one they've been using since the 80's (seriously -- aside from the lack of chrome-look paint, it's identical to the one in my '87 Grand National).

The important parts, though -- engine, transmission, driveline, brakes ('98 and up only for the brakes) -- these are top-notch pieces. Some of them (e.g. the differential) don't hold up well under more-than-stock power and/or traction, but that doesn't mean GM did a bad job.

If you don't mind driving around in the presence of cheap, black plastic, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 2002 Camaro. They're impressively safe in collisions -- I saw one hit the wall at a dragstrip going 110mph. The car was destroyed, but driver walked away with some bruising!

I might shy away from a '96 at this point, unless you know the previous owner personally and have no doubt that it's been cared-for better than your average 14 year old car (this is especially relevant if you live somewhere with real winters and road salt -- get a look at the underbody!). The fact that it's already modded might be a good thing, but it's more likely to be a bad thing. It probably means the car's been driven hard every day of its life.