General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

CAMARO not strting *neeed help*

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 AM

CAMARO not strting *neeed help*

Please read so you can try and help me get my camaro running

Ok i know im prolbey not in the right topic for this but i am just wanting any thoughts on what is happening.

So i just got my camaro not to long ago... its been only like 2 weeks

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457877
^my camaro^

So when i went to go get the camaro i asked the day i looked at it if i could test drive it and he said yes. hE PUT The key in and started it up. I got to drive around for about 10 mintues. It ran great and i ended up getting the camaro a few days after. So i called the guy and told him we are gonna buy the camaro. He already new we were thniking about getting it. Well he owed $3,000 on the car so my dad wanted to follow him to the credit union place to make sure he pays off the loan so it doesnt affect us as the owner of the car. The guy drove the camaro to our house and then dropped it off. His freind drove in a different cr so that they could get to the credit union and home. Everything worked out good and we bought the car. I did'nt and still dont have insurence but i got to drive around my subdivision twice. I started the car up the first day i go it, and then i started it up a few days after to show some freinds the motor. About 4 days ago i got to take it for a little spin to a court and back to my house courty= turn around dead end) and then about 2 days from now i took it around the court again. Everything was perfect and had no problems.

hERES WHERE THER PROBLEM IS AT. so THE CAR STARTED UP EVERYTIME I TRIED it. It aklso drove everytime i took it for a ride. But then my neighbor who is a locksmith came over to make us a new key. Because i only have one key and want a spare. He told me there is a lil chip on the key. I dont have a pic right now but im sure u know what im talking about. He told me to put my key in a lil system he had which read what the chip on the key was and it read 10. So he found a same key and tested it and it was a 10. He had like 15 of the same keys that i had but had to get the one that read 10. So he traced mine and then cut it or whatever to make it the same. I went to go try it on my car and then BAM! It turned the ignition but the car would not startt. So then i tried mine and BAM! car would not start. Itried it again the next day, which is today and BAM! iT doesnt work.

I sat in the car a few times listening to the radio and it seemed to make the battery die out and i was only in the car for maybe a hour at the most. So today we got the battery checked and it was good and they even charged it for us. So i know that the battery is fine. We thought hmmmm it could be empty on gas even though it said full, so we got like 2 gallons of gas and put it in and then put the charged battery in and the car did not start.

My dad is calling the dealer ship to ask if maybe the key that we had made was different and if its possilbe to like shut down the cars system? any of you have any ideas.

sorry i wrote so much but im just trying to figure out waht the hell is wrong
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 AM

Re: CAMARO not strting *neeed help*

Is your security light flashing?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:43 AM

I think it is. I do remeber somethnig on saying security. I will have to check tomorrow to get a definete yes
Old 07-03-2006, 02:06 AM

Take your old key and measure the resistance and then measure the new key.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key

If you don't have a multimeter, stick the key in the ignition and try to crank, if the security light is flashing then the key probably isn't the in the correct ohm range.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:12 AM

good find. I'll try it out and talk to my dad about it. Ya so ever since i used i tried that new key the old one does'nt work either. I'll read up on the link you have and see what i can come up with. I'll have you updated tomorrow on hoe it goes. thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 02:46 AM

I just put in my new motor and mine wouldn't start either. The VATS module went bad on mine so I bypassed the whole thing. First I jumped the starter relay so it would crank, then I made a circuit box to send the pcm the correct 30hz signal to fire the injectors. No more security, but I don't drive the car much anyway.