General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

A/C Delete ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:48 PM

Question A/C Delete ?

Does anybody have a writeup for the proper way to take the AC out of the car? I'm sure it is pretty simple but I don't want to go ripping parts out vicariously. I would like to do it properly so I can put it back in if I chose later on down the road. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM

Re: A/C Delete ?

Not quite a write up. Injuneer might have one, Or shoebox.

I could give you a hand w/ it, info wise.

1st.. Be sure the system is FULLY discharged. Have it professionally disharged. THere's a HUGE fine for letting refrigerant go! Like $100,000!!
Then it's basically just unbolting parts. Remove the condensor (up front) THere'll be a supply and return line, two bolts on each. You'll have to take the radiator support out to get the condenser out. -No need to FULLY disconnect the radiator.

THere's a low pressure cut off switch up near the reciever/dryer canister, it's on the return line, underneath the supply line. (metal cyl on pass side) Disconnect the switch, then unbolt the reciever/dryer supply and return lines to the evaporator (part for the inside of the car) The return line runs back down to the compressor. The supply line to the evaporator runs to the top of the condensor on the pass side near the radiator.

After the Evap and Condensor lines are unbolted, you can go underneath and disconnect the single green wire (I think it's green) going to the elecromagentic clutch on the compressor. THen you can unbolt the compressor. When you pull the lines back, be sure not to drag them through the dirt and grime. After the compressor, Reciver dryer canister, evaporator and condensor are out.. that's pretty much it.

Tape off the connections, to ensure dirt does not get in there and to prevent moisture build up.

It's pretty simple. I think the filter for it is in the supply line to the compressor. -I could be wrong on that. It's in the orifice tube. It's a small blue plastic in line filter. It's actuall IN the line somewhere.

Be sure to tape off the evaporator ports going into and out of the car.

That should be it.

EDIT:.. ...after writing that I feel like taking MY a/c out... it doesn't work anyway...

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 10-10-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 AM

Don't you have to change your heater core as well?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by mook99TA
Don't you have to change your heater core as well?
Nope, just remove the air stuff and the heater still works.

Be aware that the minute that you put the defrosters on you will get a check engine light because of the high pressure switch in the system not working.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:07 PM

You could always have the A/C codes tuned out of the PCM as well.. I had this done last summer when I had my mail-order tune since I have my a/c delete pulley sitting around but I have yet to install it yet.