General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

A/C compressor seems to be leaking lubricant at the pulley area>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 06:09 PM

A/C compressor seems to be leaking lubricant at the pulley area>>

When it rains, it pours it seems. My alternator went out took my serp belt w/ it yesterday evening, I've changed those and now have a leak of some kind of lube that is getting thrown by the a/c compressor pulley. I figured it would be powersteering fluid or something but that has a red tint in this car, the lube that is leaking is clear and near odorless. Looks kinda like brake fluid but it doesn't smell the same so that's out, not engine oil. Only other lube I can think of as a possibility is A/C compressor oil leaking out, which as you'll read below looks likely.

Figuring it was some line that got knicked by the belt as it broke or something and was dripping/spraying something onto the pulleys/belt area I went in search of the source of the leak. Problem is it doesn't seem to be a line at all, it appears to be coming out of the A/C compressor itself, if I've got the A/C switched off nothing seems to be leaking (or at least not enough to be evident). With the A/C switched on after a few seconds it becomes quite clear something is leaking and getting thrown by the belt/pulley. It appears to be coming from the compressor itself, leaking out from where the compressor clutch plate or whatever pulls down on the pulley when the a/c is on and getting thrown all over the place. As best I can tell from crawling under the car while it's running and inspecting from the top it's not leaking from a line and dripping onto it, just about gotta be coming out of the compressor itself (and only from the front side of the pulley area, feeling as far as I can under the backside of the pulley it seems mostly dry, and it's not coming from the rear of the compressor where the lines hook in as near as I can tell).

Anyone run into that before? I figured if there was any compromise in the A/C system pressurized freon crap would be leaking/spraying out. It doesn't seem to be.

Anyone think that stop leak/lube for A/C systems would be worth a shot or is that stuff a gimick?? It's not voilently shooting out or anything, but a decent amount is getting out and onto the pulley/belt to get thrown all over everything. I'm wondering if the stop leak might be able to stop it...

Last question, is the A/C compressor and lines setup identical for all F-body LT1 cars? I'm figuring I'll be stuck swapping the stupid thing out... If anyone has one they'll part w/ cheap let me know, doesn't look like I'll necessarily need the lines and stuff.

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 09-03-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:59 PM

Re: A/C compressor seems to be leaking lubricant at the pulley area>>

My AC compressor has had a slow fluid leak for the past 2 years. It doesn't throw it around, just drips off the bottom of the compressor. My AC works fine too. Just waiting for the compressor to die and then I'll replace it; they're around $300 for a new one from a discount GM source.