General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

busted my oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:19 PM

busted my oil pan

i put a jack stand through my oil pan. what is the best way to get to the oil pan to replace it. i already have the new pan but i just need to get to the old one. any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:25 PM

Re: busted my oil pan

Support the engine and pull the bolts out of the motor mounts. You can push from the bottom but it works better to pull the motor up with a lift until you can get the pan out. Don't break the oil level sensor, take it out first.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:26 PM

How in the... uhm, how did you do that? You did at least use a 2x4 or something? Try unscrewing all the bolts that hold it on, and then maybe jacking up the tranny and pulling it out?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by JeicetheDamned
How in the... uhm, how did you do that? You did at least use a 2x4 or something? Try unscrewing all the bolts that hold it on, and then maybe jacking up the tranny and pulling it out?
yeah im stupid i know i had a really cheesy store brand jack and i stupidly put the jack stand under the cross member and the jack broke.
so where can i place the jack? under the trans or what?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Also, check to make sure that there is no damage to your oil pump pickup. An engine hoist is the ideal way to lift the engine up to gain enough clearance to yank out the pan, but some shadetrees put a block under the oil pan to distribute the load and carefully jack the motor up(you need to have the motor mounts unbolted) and raise the engine enough to fit a 3" block of wood in between the crossmember and the engine block. Then slowly let the jack down and the lower the engine onto the wood blocks. It isn't an easy job, definitely something that would be well worth taking it to the professionals for . But if you do decide to do it yourself, be careful and watch your fingers.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:34 PM

Also, I forgot to mention, you should look into a Haynes or Chiltons service manual, they outline alot of the procedures that your are asking questions about and can be found at most parts stores or book stores. Definitely be careful with that new pan, they are very flimsy and will crunch with relative ease. They are not meant to be load supports.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Also, check to make sure that there is no damage to your oil pump pickup. An engine hoist is the ideal way to lift the engine up to gain enough clearance to yank out the pan, but some shadetrees put a block under the oil pan to distribute the load and carefully jack the motor up(you need to have the motor mounts unbolted) and raise the engine enough to fit a 3" block of wood in between the crossmember and the engine block. Then slowly let the jack down and the lower the engine onto the wood blocks. It isn't an easy job, definitely something that would be well worth taking it to the professionals for . But if you do decide to do it yourself, be careful and watch your fingers.
do you mean put the wood in between the block and the motor mounts? because in between the cross member and the block is the oild pan? it is difficult like you said, i had to slightly bend the tranny cooling line and the oil lines to reach the motor mount bolts.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:36 PM

i forgot to ask a question the reason all of this happened is because my tranny was making a soft scaping noise, and it would not shift out of second, has anyone with an AT experienced this?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tomythakat
yeah im stupid i know i had a really cheesy store brand jack and i stupidly put the jack stand under the cross member and the jack broke.
so where can i place the jack? under the trans or what?
I always jack my car up by the cross member.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Bert02SS

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Definitely be careful with that new pan, they are very flimsy and will crunch with relative ease. They are not meant to be load supports.
Oh sure, rub it in!