General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

battery issuses

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:27 PM

battery issuses

Hey guys so the problem I'm having is my battery was drained by I think the alarm system. When I first bought this car (87 camaro) about a month ago it was running fine started up with no problems. I went out about a week ago to move it but it was running sluggish, then a few days later it wouldn't starting. Now when I try to start it nothing happens. So I disconnected the battery and charged it. When I tried to reconnect the battery and the alarm system, the alarm went off but the remote wouldn't disable it. I replaced the battery in the remote and still nothing. It is a keyless entry car, I'm not sure if that info is relevant. The person I bought the car from says that its has a fairly new alternator and I was there when he put the new battery in. I'm completey stumped on what it could be. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 PM

First, I would have the battery load tested, to see if the battery is still good... Most part stores have testers, and its free...
Second, with the vehicle running at normal idle, with a volt and/or multi meter, the voltage at the battery should be around 13.8~14.2 volts.. If not, then check wiring first.. If wiring and connections are OK, than probably a bad alternator...

If all check out OK, then start checking for electrical leeches... IE: Alarms, radio, amp, etc..
Old 08-16-2009, 03:30 PM

well the car doesnt even turn on anymore
Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Sounds like the negative terminal is not making a connection. I'd check for corrosion etc on the negative terminal. Also, stab in the dark but connections to ignition coil or the coil itself could be an issue. Could use a test light to make sure you're getting power to it.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mjc928
well the car doesnt even turn on anymore

No start could be a dead battery. Mine does the same thing. Mine Is a bad alt though. Only thing that it could be. But if the battery is dead it will not even click. A bad Alternator will take a battery out as well. Shorted internal cells is a common symptom of that. (4 batteries in 4 years.....)
Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM

there is corrosion on the neg terminal and I used a test light which worked on the battery but I didnt try anything for the ignition. When I turn the key nothing clicks... Ok so what can I do about the alarm not turning off when I hit the remote?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 PM

No idea n the alarm. using test light on the battery is pointless. Reason being, it takes how much power to power that light?.... How much power to kick over a starter seloniod? yea, drastic difference lol. I can get a AA battery to light a test light... It is jsut there to show if you have ANY power in the line. A battery can also show 12V and be dead. My last one showed 12V just sitting there. the second I hit the ignition switch the battery dropped below 6.5 volts. That is the reason you either need to load test it or spend out for a charger with test capability (Black and decker has a nice one). Another issue is it might have enough power to do one or two things before it completely stops (like your alarm going off)

So first thing is first. go and get the battery tested. Remember to charge it the night before. If it tests fine ten move to th next thing. You could clean all that corrossion up and charge and see if that helps. It can make a difference, but I have seen some pretty corroded posts and no problem at least getting a click out of it. THen if that does not do it, check the connections to the different points like the starter and alternator and such. If all of those are good get your Alternator tested. In fact, why not get both the battery AND the alternator tested at the same time. A bad battery can take an alternator woth it, and a bad alternator can kill a battery. Always good to test the power sources first, then the paths between.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 AM

I had this happen before and it was my ignition coil, had the same problem with a dead battery.