General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Battery Draining Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:08 PM

Battery Draining Need help!

I have a 95 Z28 with some minor modifications. I only drive the car approx. 500 miles a year. I start at least once a week and just recently I put a new battery in. After installing the battery I started the car, everything was fine. I went back 2 days later and the battery was completely dead. I took the battery back to AutoZone and they charged the battery and checked it. The battery was good. I then took the alternator off and had it tested, it tested fine. Both doors are completely shut, trunk is shut, radio is off...nothing is on. What could possibly draining the battery? I have taken the negative battery cable off, taken a test light and hooked one end to the battery cable and touched the other end to the negative battery terminal and the light comes on. With this in place, I checked all the fuses under the hood and inside the cabin and the test light always stays lit. I would appreciate any help..I am certainly no electrician. Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 10:56 PM

Duno if it helps but its worth throwing out there... on my 95 Z28 the stupid console light in the middle glove box was staying on. I noticed light comming through my E Brake "boot" thing. I pulled the bulb out. I just got a new battery but at the time my battery was crap, and im sure that wasnt helping it
Old 01-23-2007, 05:56 AM

First question since you have no signature to tell us anything about the vehicle. If you have what I call a BTA (Big Thumpin Amp). That's the place to start. I see those pull current even when they're off very often.

To check for draw even when EVERYTHING is off. Disconnect the negative terminal at the battery. Set your multimeter to 10 AMP DC scale. Put the postive meter lead on the negative battery cable and the negative meter lead on the negative battery terminal. If the draw is too small to get an accurate reading at that scale, lower the scale to first 1 AMP DC and then lower if need be. Be sure you pay attention to the connection of the meter leads to the meter. Many multimeters require the leads to be moved to different sockets for current measurements.

Now remove a fuse at a time until it goes down to about .01 amps. The 2 usual continual draws are the PCM and radio.

If you have anything that you added, wired to a voltage source, start with that.