General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

assorted fuel filter related questions

Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM

assorted fuel filter related questions

i finally got around to changing my fuel filter today. the car has ~45k miles, and by all signs, my best guess was that i was running the original fuel filter. i followed the instructions: opened gas cap, removed fuel pump fuse and relay, cranked engine, let it die, then cranked it a few more times, then went ahead and pressed on the schrader valve on the fuel rail to relieve any remaining pressure. well, thats where i was in for a surprise. fuel spurted out like crazy. i had a microfiber towel over the valve, and the fuel went through it like it wasnt there. i folded the cloth in 4, and repeated. this time, the fuel didnt go through, but it was still gushing out like crazy. i tried cranking the engine again, and it didnt start. i kept purging it through the valve, and it eventually stopped coming out, but id estimate i dumped almost a quart of fuel that way. is that normal? then after i got the old filter out, i realized that it looked to be quite new. is there a way of testing how worn out it is? just out of curiosity. and last, i am now the proud owner of many, many fuel soaked microfiber cloths. i normally use these for random cleaning around the car, and some of the cleaner ones for drying it after i wash it. is there a way to completely get the fuel out of them? from what ive heard, its not exactly good for the paint. ok, done ranting now. thanks for reading.