General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Air bag light is on and steering radio controls don't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Air bag light is on and steering radio controls don't work

I was playing with the steering knuckle and now the AIR BAG light is on and the steering wheel controls don't work. Is there a plug or wire in the engine bay around the steering knuckle that would cause this? I only played with the knuckle.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:06 AM

Did you disconnect it and turn it? If so, then you probably broke the wires off up under the airbag. Always lock the steering column if you ever need to disconnect the knuckle. If not, then the two should not be related at all, and would be a strange problem. Somehow, the wires got broke though, as the radio controls and air bag wires are on seperate circuits and only follow the same path from the airbag/steering wheel to the column. I would remove the airbag fuse so as not to have an accidental deployment until you get it fixed.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the insight. However, that is horrible news. I might as well get a new column as the one I have is all *****ed up.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Administrator

There's a piece like a clock-spring (called the "SIR coil assembly") that contains the wires and allows the steering column to rotate. That has a long harness that connects down at the base of the steering column, with a yellow connector and a safety pin in it. All you need to do is pull the steering wheel and replace the SIR coil. You might be able to find a used one, from someone who has removed their airbag system.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks Injuneer. Ill look into that.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM

YUP...You broke the clock spring alright. NEVER turn the steering wheel with the steering nuckle disconnected.

Originally Posted by Gtpguy
Thanks for the insight. However, that is horrible news. I might as well get a new column as the one I have is all *****ed up.
Problem will be most used columns will have the same problem with prolem wires. I take same skill and patience, but they can be repaired as I did it to the used one I got.

Re'