General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

AC Freon is full, but AC doesn't blow cold.. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 05:06 AM

AC Freon is full, but AC doesn't blow cold.. Help!

Ok, granted I live in Las Vegas, and it does get hot, but I would think the AC would still work better. I know the freon is full because I have one of those do it youself kits, and the indicator is almost in the red, meaning its almost too full. Now granted if I leave the AC on MAX, it takes a while to cool down, but its not really that cool still. On a warmer day, say low/mid 90's, it still feels like its blowing mid 80's in the car. What could be the cause of this? Does the AC in LT1s just suck? Anything else I can check? How much freon should be in the AC system? Also, it seems the car runs a bit hotter when I use the AC. I am pretty sure both of the fans are working. I have the 160 therm. and the car usually never passes the first quarter mark on the gause, so usually it runs at around 180, but with the AC blowing, sometimes it will creep up to near the 200 mark. Still not really bad, but its never done this before. Any insight would be useful, TIA
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 AM

Re: AC Freon is full, but AC doesn't blow cold.. Help!

I'm certainly not an A/C expert, but I know enough to keep the A/C's going in my own cars, so here is a few things you can quickly check.
1. Start the engine, turn on A/C, set blower to high speed, temp. control to full cold.
2. Go out and check the A/C compressor clutch. Is it engaging? Have somebody inside the car toggle the A/C switch on and off. You should see the clutch engage and disengage.
3. If the clutch doesn't engage, the next thing I would do is to make sure the clutch solenoid is working. What I did to have manual control of the clutch and overide the car's A/C controls was to go to a junkyard and clip the weatherpack connector off of a wreck (most late model GM's are the same) and make up a jumper that I could hook directly to the battery; be sure to put a fuse in the positive wire.
4. Disconnect the connector from the compressor clutch (this is a MAJOR PITA) and connect your jumper connector. When you connect/disconnect to the battery you should see the clutch engage/disengage.
5. If the clutch is working, you have other problems. Without a gauge set it's hard to do any real troubleshooting. Here's a couple of things to look for. Start the car, set the controls like you did in step 1. With the windows up (you might want to do this with the car in the shade, so you don't die while you're inside checking the temperature) stick a thermometer in the center duct. The discharge temperature after several minutes should be at least 20*-30* colder than the outside air temperature. Take a look under the hood. Feel the low pressure line where it discharges from the evaporator (this is the top, large line at the firewall). It should be cold and sweating and the lower small line should be hot.

Let me know what you find out, maybe we can figure where to go from there.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:59 AM

Yes, first check if the clutch engages when you put a/c on. Even if you don't know where to look if the clutch is engaged, you should hear a "click" and the engine should load down a bit when you turn on the a/c.

Did you fill it with refridge. yourself? Or just check the pressure?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:27 AM

You need to adjust the blend damper under the glove box. The spring gets out of whack and then the vent lets hot air from the heatercore side to mix with the cool air.

So even if the temperature control shows full cole you might really just have it in the middle. The procedure is easy but difficult to explain. Take a peek in the factory service manual.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Luna
You need to adjust the blend damper under the glove box. The spring gets out of whack and then the vent lets hot air from the heatercore side to mix with the cool air.

So even if the temperature control shows full cole you might really just have it in the middle. The procedure is easy but difficult to explain. Take a peek in the factory service manual.
Now that you mention this I relized my car slowly blows air from the floor vents when AC and heat is off. How were you adjusting the spring.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Blown_Red_97z
Ok, granted I live in Las Vegas, and it does get hot, but I would think the AC would still work better. I know the freon is full because I have one of those do it youself kits, and the indicator is almost in the red, meaning its almost too full. Now granted if I leave the AC on MAX, it takes a while to cool down, but its not really that cool still. On a warmer day, say low/mid 90's, it still feels like its blowing mid 80's in the car. What could be the cause of this? Does the AC in LT1s just suck? Anything else I can check? How much freon should be in the AC system? Also, it seems the car runs a bit hotter when I use the AC. I am pretty sure both of the fans are working. I have the 160 therm. and the car usually never passes the first quarter mark on the gause, so usually it runs at around 180, but with the AC blowing, sometimes it will creep up to near the 200 mark. Still not really bad, but its never done this before. Any insight would be useful, TIA
How often do you charge the AC? The reason I ask is 4 out of 5 times someone comes to me with a AC not cooling enough they have a system with way to much oil in it and running really high pressure on the low side. When you are charging the system do not keep buying the cans of freon with sealers and oils. Just for some reference last time I checked my AC it was 90 degrees 52% humidity outside and the ac was blowing 42 degrees in the shade.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Red on Red WS6
Now that you mention this I relized my car slowly blows air from the floor vents when AC and heat is off. How were you adjusting the spring.
Different thing. I'd try to explain the operation but is is kinda hard considering the ease of the adjustment.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:10 PM

well, yes the clutch is engaging, the temps inside the car are cooler than outside, just doesn't seem cool enough. I do have the service manuals for the 97, so I will check through and adjust that spring. Another thing is that I did add freon, but I did add the ones with the oil and sealer in it, so quite possible might be exactly what Red WS6 was saying. How would I go about getting all of that excess oil out, or should I just let some freon out? I will try the spring control first, then go from there. Thanks for all of the responses!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:52 AM

I would like to know how to get excess oil in the compressor out also.

I just got my a/c working, but its nowhere near cold enough. I also used several cans of refridg with oil.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 AM

Take it to a shop and let them hook the recovery machine up to it

Remember, too much coolant is detrimental to the eff of the a/c just like too little.