General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

AC freezer

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:43 PM

AC freezer

i have AC freezer (i dnt know what u call it) needs to be changed, so I have this question: do i need to take out the whole dashboard or there is another way??
Old 02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I believe what you are attempting to say is that the air conditioning system in your car is not working and needs to be replaced. What you need to do to replace it depends on what part if broken. If it is the evaporator, it is accessed by working into the heater/AC box under the dash. If it is any other part - compressore, condensor, drier, lines, etc., it is accessed from under the hood of the car.

If it is low on refrigerant, and you need to recharge it, that does not require any disassembly of the dash, or any other part of the vehicle. The system is recharged by attaching the recharge system to the high and low pressure ports on the refirgerant piping under the hood.

You do need to provide basic info about the car - year, model, engine, tranny, etc.

What part of the system is not working?

You might want to add your country of location to your profile, so people understand your issues with the English language.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM

lol sorry its my bad. actually, what i mean is the evaporator, its leaking & i need to take it out either for fixing or replacing. so is there a way to reach the evaporator other than taking out the dashboard??
Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Administrator

You don't take out the dashboard. You should be able to reach it from under the dash, the same way you would access the heater core. You may have to pull the glove box out to access the cover for the heater core. I've never done it, though,
Old 02-22-2010, 07:22 AM

I did it last summer, its not the easiest thing to do. You have to drain the radiator and disconnect the coolant lines to the heater box. there is a screw that is kindof hidden that holds the ends to the firewall. Inside the car you have to remove the glove box and kick plate on bottom of dashboard. Then you need to take all the screws out of the heater box and mixer area and disconect the temperature adjuster. If the plastic heater box doesnt move easily, look for more screws. After you get it loose, it takes some finness to get it out... once you get all that stuff out of the way you can pull out the heater core. take some more stuff apart and you can see the evaporator. If your system isnt charged (I assume it is if your evaporator is leaking) then disconect the lines in the engine bay, and remove the same way as the heater (again some finness needed). I have seen people trim the bottom lip of the plastic to make it easier but I didnt have to and I didnt want condensation to leak in the car, so if you do trim it, find a way to keep the water in that little resrvoir.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chevyssoccer
I did it last summer, its not the easiest thing to do. You have to drain the radiator and disconnect the coolant lines to the heater box.

There is a screw that is kindof hidden that holds the ends to the firewall. Inside the car you have to remove the glove box and kick plate on bottom of dashboard.

Then you need to take all the screws out of the heater box and mixer area and disconect the temperature adjuster. If the plastic heater box doesnt move easily, look for more screws.

After you get it loose, it takes some finness to get it out... once you get all that stuff out of the way you can pull out the heater core. Take some more stuff apart and you can see the evaporator.

If your system isnt charged (I assume it is if your evaporator is leaking) then disconect the lines in the engine bay, and remove the same way as the heater (again some finness needed).

I have seen people trim the bottom lip of the plastic to make it easier but I didnt have to and I didnt want condensation to leak in the car, so if you do trim it, find a way to keep the water in that little resrvoir.

Edited for easy reading..
Old 02-24-2010, 03:15 PM

ooooh thanx guys for helping, now i feel more comfortable, it will cost me more labour charge if i removed the dashboard. already i disconnected heater hoses because it was leaking few months ago & im thinking to take heater out & throw it because i dnt need it here in this country
Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM

haha no kidding! have you taken your car to that new REAL nice track out there?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by GhostZ28
haha no kidding! have you taken your car to that new REAL nice track out there?
u wana me to take my car to the track with those mods in my sig.?? i dnt think so my friend, it will be embarassing. im not interested in these stuff, my car is DD & i wana add some extra mods like MSD ignition, iridium plugs, magnaflow exhaust, with some nice paint & bodykit & this is enough. police dont allow for us to do much mods
Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM

they will not laugh, driving is about improving your times with your car against yourself! plus it is a LOT of fun and these cars aren't exactly hybrids!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chevyssoccer
I did it last summer, its not the easiest thing to do. You have to drain the radiator and disconnect the coolant lines to the heater box. there is a screw that is kindof hidden that holds the ends to the firewall. Inside the car you have to remove the glove box and kick plate on bottom of dashboard. Then you need to take all the screws out of the heater box and mixer area and disconect the temperature adjuster. If the plastic heater box doesnt move easily, look for more screws. After you get it loose, it takes some finness to get it out... once you get all that stuff out of the way you can pull out the heater core. take some more stuff apart and you can see the evaporator. If your system isnt charged (I assume it is if your evaporator is leaking) then disconect the lines in the engine bay, and remove the same way as the heater (again some finness needed). I have seen people trim the bottom lip of the plastic to make it easier but I didnt have to and I didnt want condensation to leak in the car, so if you do trim it, find a way to keep the water in that little resrvoir.

do u have photos of the heater box & the work which u did it?? I have started to unbolt the screws but there are three of them in narrow areas I couldnt remove them
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM

No I didnt take any pictures. I just disconnected the mixer cable and unbolted the fan motor and started taking screws out.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM

while i was checking diagram of HVAC system in shbox website & HVAC system in my car I found that one of the connections to vaccum check valve is broke & this is explained why air not comming from dash vents in my car. my question is: is this could cause AC gas leak?? I had checked all pipes & hoses, compressor & condenser in engine compartment for leaks & i found nothing, thats why i decided to take out the evaporator but im in doubt now when i figure this breakage in the vaccum check valve. the problem is: in every time the system had been filled with gas, a steam will come from dash vents & after few hours or in the next day the AC will not work
Old 03-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Its possible to trace the refrigerant leak with a detector. If its leaking under the dash, the only part that could leak would be the evaporator. The fact that you have a leak in the vacuum system that operates the HVAC flapper doors could not cause the AC refrigerant to leak out of the evaporator.