General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

97' bcm issues

Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM

97' bcm issues

the bcm in my car has been getting worse over the years. going from loosing radio sometimes to now the interior lights dont work anymore. ok i bought one from gmpartsdirect. hah, the f***ing thing is locked to another pellet code. i tried them all. none of them work, and as soon as you turn the key the alarm goes off. well since you cant return electrical items, i finally found one locally at a salvage yard. they didnt have the key for it anymore so i figured what the hell i'll try all the pellet codes again. and as luck would have it, didnt f***ing work either. i have no idea how i can get two, one new one used, that dont work. now the second one didnt set off the alarm but i couldnt start the car. and just to add i hooked the stock one back up and used the pellet code from my key and it started so i have the correct wiring and have the pellet values from shoeboxes website. Is there anyway to reprogram any one of these so they work correctly(before i blow up my car with c4)
Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 PM

Why don't you just eliminate the pellet altogether? You can bypass it.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 AM

well thats how i tried to get the other bcm's to work, since the pellet code in my key didn't work. all that happened with the other 14 pellet values is notta. meaning car wouldn't start.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:07 AM

Try putting your orig. BCM back in. Make sure all the connections are clean & the individual wires are not twisted & pulled (On my 00 SS who ever was on the assembly line that day had mine all noted up where it comes through the pass. side plastic kick panel. After I cleaned mine, I reassembled using dielectric grease to make sure I had good connections & ran through the security system diagnostic w/ no codes. It all seems to be working fine now. also, I bypassed the VATS pelet in the key w/ no problems. The service manual has a number or precautions that the BCMs typically do not go bad (I did not follow their advice the first time & bought a new one) and the problem is usually in the wiring.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM

There is no way that a new BCM from GMpartsdirect comes "locked to another pellet code". The chip in a new unit comes blank and is programmed to your resistor pellet the first time you turn the ignition to "on". Any unit from a junkyard will have the resistor value burned in the chip belonging to the original car it was installed in, but not a new one, so it's almost impossible to get a used bcm model with the same value as yours. I had problems too and a new BCM fixed everything on my car.

There are several models per year depending on the options in the car like the anti-theft system. You got the new BCM with the exact serial number as your OEM one? Did you remove the battery terminals when you replaced the BCM? clean all the terminals and contacts. Have you changed the OEM pellet in the car?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:25 PM

What radio issues were you having??