General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

96' Dome/Mirror lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 AM

96' Dome/Mirror lights

Where do I start to track down the problem of them not working....It's the car in the sig......the switches in the door are not the problem since the buzzer dings when I open the doors...... If I turn the dash light dimmer switch up all the way they wont come on either nor will the reading lights come on it I use the switches on the mirror......Everything else works fine. this is my only problem now.....Thanks a lot, Mike
Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Re: 96' Dome/Mirror lights

Shoebox has the interior lighting diagram for a 95. Should be similar, although there may be an issue with the body control module being added in 96, and incorporating the RAP module.

http://shbox.com/1/interior_lights_1995.jpg
Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Well He also has the diagram for the BCM http://shbox.com/1/bcm_1996.jpg

The problem is I've been staring at these diagrams all day and apparently i'm not smart enough to figure these things out......If someone could help me out and point me in the right direction, i would greatly appreciate it........thanks, Mike
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Those two diagrams both reference another diagram called "interior lights", and I don't see that on Shoebox's site. In the 95 diagram, the interior lights show up as coming off the dimmer switch on/off position.

My Chiltons has a diagram for 93-95 lights, and there is an "isolation diode" in the connection between the door switches and RAP module, and the ground for the mirror reading lamps. But not for the dome lamp. Are the lights in the console and the glove box working? They have the same power source and ground source as all the other lights, but are not affected by the RAP feature or the dimmer switch.

Again, the BCM could affect this.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Theres a bulb where the center console would be....that is running off of the dimmer switch, so when I dim the dash lights so does that bulb........

Theres 3 wires running up the drivers side Pillar.....If I attach a power source to one of them (blue/white wire) then the Dome,mirror, and glove box lights all work. If I do this without the dimmer switch plugged in then only the glove box and mirror lights work, which means the dome is getting ground from that switch....I tracked that Blue/white wire all the way to the BCM.......Im thinking thats the main power feed for the interior lights and that there should be a command wire.

Last edited by deerslayinrenek; 02-01-2011 at 10:58 AM.