General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

94 wire harness with 96 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 AM

94 wire harness with 96 engine

I got a 95 Camaro with a 96 engine. The guy I bought it from fudged it up by putting an automatic harness and computer in with the engine (the Camaro is 6sp) so now my wiring is burnt all over the place. I found a wire harness for a m6 94 lt1 just wondering if that will work or will it cause problems too? Also I had to change my ignition coil but got it off a junket. Now I've noticed slow response when I press the gas. Could that be the issue? And i also have the chance to buy a pcm for a m6 would I be better off buying that than keeping the auto pcm I already have
Old 10-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Re: 94 wire harness with 96 engine

What year is the harness that is "burnt all over"? The PCM is the same whether it's a manual or auto. The difference is handled in the programming. You can have the PCM flash programmed to match the trans. 95% of the harness is identical, only the sub-harness for the transmission is different. Running a mismatched trans type would not cause any part of the harness to burn up. What parts are burnt?

Does your speedometer work correctly, indicating the actual speed you are driving? If it works OK the program has been matched to the trans. There is a huge difference between the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) output signal pulses per revolution of the trans tailshaft on the T56 and the 4L60E. If you are running an auto program with the T56 your speedo will be reading less than 1/2 of actual speed.

Do you have an SES light on? The trans mismatches should set codes, although not all the 4L60E codes turn on the SES light. When a 96 engine is being operated by a 95 PCM, the 96 knock sensor (100,000 ohms) has to be replaced with a 93-95 knock sensor (4,000 ohms), or you will get DTC 43 for the mismatch. It's also possible to add a resistor inside the PCM to prevent this, but not many people have that done.

A 94 manual trans harness will work fine. But there may be a few mismatches where it connects to body harnesses. Shoebox has the pinouts for each year:

http://shbox.com/1/harness_connector_faces.htm

Note that there are tabs at the bottom of the page for seven different connectors.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What year is the harness that is "burnt all over"? The PCM is the same whether it's a manual or auto. The difference is handled in the programming. You can have the PCM flash programmed to match the trans. 95% of the harness is identical, only the sub-harness for the transmission is different. Running a mismatched trans type would not cause any part of the harness to burn up. What parts are burnt?

Does your speedometer work correctly, indicating the actual speed you are driving? If it works OK the program has been matched to the trans. There is a huge difference between the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) output signal pulses per revolution of the trans tailshaft on the T56 and the 4L60E. If you are running an auto program with the T56 your speedo will be reading less than 1/2 of actual speed.

Do you have an SES light on? The trans mismatches should set codes, although not all the 4L60E codes turn on the SES light. When a 96 engine is being operated by a 95 PCM, the 96 knock sensor (100,000 ohms) has to be replaced with a 93-95 knock sensor (4,000 ohms), or you will get DTC 43 for the mismatch. It's also possible to add a resistor inside the PCM to prevent this, but not many people have that done.

A 94 manual trans harness will work fine. But there may be a few mismatches where it connects to body harnesses. Shoebox has the pinouts for each year:

Note that there are tabs at the bottom of the page for seven different connectors.
I believe the harness year is a 96 but I'm not too sure all I know is it was meant for an automatic because of the pig tails, their were a lot of wires just hanging around so it all got burnt from the headers and all the other misc. engine parts it must have hit

My speedo actually doesn't work at all I've only been able to see my rpm gauge the speedo part hasn't worked since I got the car

I do have a ses light on but only after the car has been drivin for more than 20 min or if I open the throttle up

Last edited by Anthony B; 10-30-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Also their is white smoke that comes out the exhaust after the wide the open throttle or when I'm about to run out of gas, th
Old 10-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Again, even if he used a 96 harness, there is only one connector for the 4L60E trans. There are connectors for things like after-cat O2 sensors that couldn't be connected because 95 doesn't have them, but you don't need those for a 95 PCM. There are extraneous connectors on the 96 harness that are not needed by the 95 PCM including the crank position sensor and EVAP vacuum switch, but a 96 engine has something for all those connectors to connect to. If left unconnected and damaged, they would not affect the 95 PCM because it doesn't have anything in it's connectors for the signals to connect to. And PCM pin D7 on a 96 for the Serial Data (Class 2) doens't have to be connected in 95. Maybe the 96 harness could be salvaged, if the hanging loose, burned connectors are not need on the 95.

If you feel the existing harness cannot be salvaged, use the 94, and address the mismatches in the body connectors as required.

One thing to look for on the fan controls. During the 94 model year they switched from Fan #1/Fan #2 control to both fans on low speed and both fans on high speed. The harness should be the same for both setups.

In 95 the "PCM BAT" fuse was moved from the end of dash panel to the underhood panel. That affects the wiring on body harness connector C210. In connector C220 pins D and E are used in 94, but not in the 95 connector. By looking at the harness diagrams in Shoebox's references you can trace how the 94 harness needs to be modified.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:11 PM

If I get the 94 computer will I have to change the knock sensor on my 96 engine if so where is the knock sensor located?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Administrator

A 1994 or a 1995 PCM needs a 4,000 ohm knock sensor. If the 1996 engine still has its stock knock sensor, it is 100,000 ohms. Will set a code if you use it with a 94 or 95 PCM. In fact both the 94 and 95 PCM'S are identical, same part number. The T56 program will be identical.

The knock sensor is screwed into the passenger side block drain, right near the motor mount. Easy to remove with the engine out of the car, a bit harder to access with the engine in the car. You can check the sensor with your multi-meter set to ohms, connecting one lead to the single pin on the sensor, and the other lead to the block if it's still in the engine, or to the threads if it is off the engine.

Courtesy of Shoebox

Location is the same for all years 1993 - 1997.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:51 PM

A 1994 or a 1995 PCM needs a 4,000 ohm knock sensor. If the 1996 engine still has its stock knock sensor, it is 100,000 ohms. Will set a code if you use it with a 94 or 95 PCM. In fact both the 94 and 95 PCM'S are identical, same part number. The T56 program will be identical.

The knock sensor is screwed into the passenger side block drain, right near the motor mount. Easy to remove with the engine out of the car, a bit harder to access with the engine in the car. You can check the sensor with your multi-meter set to ohms, connecting one lead to the single pin on the sensor, and the other lead to the block if it's still in the engine, or to the threads if it is off the engine.

Courtesy of Shoebox

Location is the same for all years 1993 - 1997.
I changed the pcm right now and took it for a drive, I noticed a rpm change the engine noise was a lot crisper and the engine didn't shake at all compared to before