General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

305 heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 PM

305 heads

Howdy Folks !!...
The following is an question I put to the Corvette Action Center Forum the other day. I know we have some terrific gearheads here...so I'll post eh question here also...:

Howdy Folks !!..
I recently sold my L81 to a co-worker. He's in the process of overhauling the engine and ran into this oddity. When he took the heads off and droped them off to be restored...the mechanic in formed him that they were "305" heads... What in the Wide World of Sports !!... Shouldn't they be "350" heads?... And added to that...he says the the pistons have "60" stamped on them. When I had the car...it looked completely stock to me. All the original equipment was on the engine....everything. He also stated that the engine number had been shaved off the block. Now my curiosity has been piqued. Why would a person overhaul an engine and bore it "60" over...then put "305" heads on it. Then put the engine back "stock". When I purchased the car...I had the washington State Police check the "numbers" for me and they saw nothing out of sorts (engine block number shaved off). The current owner is going to raise the HP to around 290 with the overhaul...so obviously he will replace the heads. But I guess it shows that there's no telling what strange things that people do. Can anyone shed some light on this ?.

Thanks for your time
Drive On..

formally had a L81, currently have a Z28

I started in this world with nothing...and I find that I still have most of it...

So...What do you folks think...it's a real conundrum to me...